February 14, 20242 yr Hi, I went to see if there were any updates to the OPi5+ images and saw the OPi5 had updates. I clicked on the link on the main download page. https://www.armbian.com/orangepi-5/ https://redirect.armbian.com/orangepi5-plus/archive/ I've come back and now it has desktop images but no server images. Edited February 14, 20242 yr by Thewonderer
February 14, 20242 yr Solution Maybe they are still being assembled. Release is planned. Check for server images here and then do apt update/upgrade once its released: https://fi.mirror.armbian.de/archive/orangepi5-plus/archive/
February 15, 20242 yr Author Following on from the update, if and when a new Kernel is added such as 6.8 which is getting a lot of commits with RK3588 SOC, will an apt update do the trick for that too?
February 15, 20242 yr Depends on the branch you are on. Mainly used for RK3588 atm are legacy and edge. Latter is following mainline which will probably receive another bump once 6.8 has released and then maybe, if there is enough interesting code, bumped further to 6.9-rc. Legacy is based on vendor bsp and occasionally people try to fix the flaws within this messy code which is then adopted and pushed via apt. Switching branches is possible via armbian-config. Also switching to beta is possible.
February 15, 20242 yr Author Thanks Wener. I did read the vendor bsp was a hack job. What a shame. They make a great SOC and then release poor and probably inefficient BSP to go with it. I might hold off until 6.8 comes out in a month then do a clean install.
February 16, 20242 yr 5 hours ago, Thewonderer said: I did read the vendor bsp was a hack job. What a shame. They make a great SOC and then release poor and probably inefficient BSP to go with it. You get is what you pay for. With low price there is no money left for software development. 5 hours ago, Thewonderer said: I might hold off until 6.8 comes out in a month then do a clean install. I don't think its worth the wait. There won't be significant improvements anymore in this version but that is up to you. You can always check the diff between the RCs and whole versions:https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/diff/?id=v6.8-rc4&id2=v6.8-rc3&dt=2
February 16, 20242 yr Author Thanks Werner, I've been looking at the work going on here and this gives me hope. https://gitlab.collabora.com/hardware-enablement/rockchip-3588/notes-for-rockchip-3588/-/blob/main/mainline-status.md
February 16, 20242 yr Author The newer builds are up. I hope the Server Jammy builds will come soon. https://repo.jing.rocks/armbian-dl/orangepi5-plus/archive/
February 16, 20242 yr You can always build an image combining the kernel and userspace flavor of your choice. https://github.com/armbian/build
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.