Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ssh disabled be default

Featured Replies

Orange Pi 5 plus. 

It seems that in the 'edge' kernels, ssh is  disabled by  default.

Since HDMI doesn't  function this is a problem.

I used the debugging  UART and after setup I got the message "ssh.service is disabled"

I enabled the service and all is well.

Any reason why ssh would be disabled?

  • Author

Here is the partial boot log

Starting ssh.service - OpenBSD Secure Shell server...
sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.
ssh.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
ssh.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Failed to start ssh.service - OpenBSD Secure Shell server.
ssh.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
Starting ssh.service - OpenBSD Secure Shell server...
sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.

 

Not sure what to do as keys have not been generated yet.

Thanks, Bill

  • Author

After first boot and initial setup and login, I can enable and start the openssh server with no problem.

I'm not sure how generating a set of new keys would help.

This happens with numerous images. 

Armbian_24.5.0-trunk.429_Orangepi5-plus_trixie_edge_6.8.6_minimal.img

Armbian_24.5.0-trunk.429_Orangepi5-plus_trixie_vendor_6.1.43_minimal.img

Among others.

Legacy image with 5.10.160 kernel does not have this problem

 

Regards

Bill

  • Author

Werner

 

Looks like it's just  trixie.

built an image with Bookworm (bookworm_edge_6.8.7_minimal) and works with no issues so far

 

Bill 

A while ago I debugged the ssh problem and added some comments in this thread here. 

 

 

 

I don't remember if I used bookworm or trixie. Seems to me a timing issue or in which order things start. 

For now, whenever I do some dev work, I just do either another reboot after the first setup or restart the sshd service.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.