Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

No boot after update on Odroid XU4

Featured Replies

Hi!

 

I've been using Armbian on my Odroid XU4 for some months now. It runs LogitechMediaServer, Home-assistant, Openmediavault,... It's great.

 

However, today, I've just ran apt-get upgrade, reboot because of an update of the kernel and then... no reboot! The blue LED of the Odroid is lit (it doesn't blink), there is nothing on the HDMI output, nothing on the network,... It seems like the odroid cannot load the kernel.

Is there anything I could do to try to make it boot again ?

Yeah, I know, I should have done a backup of the SD card before the update ...

 

Thanks for your help!

  • Author
3 minutes ago, Igor said:

I assume you don't have serial console to debug? Can you provide at least from which version you issue this update?

Unfortunately... No, I do not have the serial adapter :/

I can mount the SD card on a linux computer, if it can help.

  • Author
7 minutes ago, Igor said:


Yes, paste content of one or both files:

 

/etc/armbian-release

/etc/armbian.txt

 

/etc/armbian-release

BOARD=odroidxu4
BOARD_NAME="Odroid XU4"
VERSION=5.25
LINUXFAMILY=odroidxu4
BRANCH=default
ARCH=arm
IMAGE_TYPE=stable

 

Header of /etc/armbian.txt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title:                  Armbian 5.25 Odroidxu4 Debian jessie default
Kernel:                 Linux 3.10.104
Build date:             02.02.2017
Authors:                http://www.armbian.com/authors
Sources:                http://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib
Support:                http://forum.armbian.com/
Changelog:              http://www.armbian.com/logbook/
Documantation:          http://docs.armbian.com/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I've nearly connected the serial pins of the odroid on a RaspberryPi in order to see debug messages until... I noticed that the odroid pins are 1.8V TTL... it won't work :/

 

Note that this file refers to kernel 3.10.104 BUT.. in the BOOT partition, I see these files:

  * config-3.10.105-odroidxu4

 * initrd.img-3.10.105-odroidxu4

 * system.map-3.10.105-odroidxu4

 * (folder) dtb-3.10.103-odroidxu4.old

 

So, It seems there is a backup of a kernel 3.10.103, a new kernel 3.10.105, but nothing that refers to 3.10.104.

  • Author

I still have an old prompt opened from the odroid:

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.25 stable Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 3.10.104-odroidxu4

 

  • Author

Ok, I don't know what happened, but it's possible that I interrupted the update process when it wasn't finished... I think I'm going to reinstall the whole system...

  • Author

Thank you for your help, @Igor.

It's just that I have a lot of doubt about what I was doing this afternoon (a lot of things at the same time), and I thing that the bug is me, this time.

I'll download the last version of Armbian, install it and reinstall all my services :)

I remember encountering this issue when I attempted a system upgrade a couple of weeks ago.  So, to avoid having to start from scratch, I decided to use the diskimager tool on my Win10 machine to make a bootable image.  However, I've now tried two different micro sd cards (a Samsung and a Sandisk) for the backup, but Win10 tells me that it doesn't recognize the file system.  It asks me if I want to format the cards.  Obviously I don't, because neither would be usable my Odroid xu4.  Any idea why I can't backup these Armbian xenial images?

First off, thank you Igor for your final post. I was delaying upgrading my Odroid's software because of this upgrade issue. After following your instructions, however, my system works perfectly and is fully updated. Also, I was wondering if you, or anyone else, had any recommendations for how to increase the size of the boot partition. Mine is consistently failing to update due to not enough space available. Any ideas would be appreciated.  

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.