Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Armbian with preinstalled OpenMediaVault (OMV)

Featured Replies

header.png

 

 

May 1st, 2025

AVAILABLE FOR ALL BOARDS on Debian Bookworm image via armbian-config
https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Armbian-Software/Media/#omv

 

 

 

 

Download Armbian with OpenMediaVault (OMV) 

Currently (for testing) only 4 targets were build: rock5-itx, odroid m1, odroid xu4 and x86. Once its confirmed that works well, other targets will be assembled. 


Then boot the image, wait few minutes and login via:

http://ip_address_of_armbian_running_ha

U: admin

P: openmediavault

 

Test setup on Odroid M1:
 

Spoiler

image.png

 

Tested on:

 

DIY

Spoiler

How was this assembled?
 

- you need a build framework which assembles Armbian (Debian variant is the only supported by OMV) https://github.com/armbian/build (can be compiled in GitHub free runners too)

- OMV extension: https://github.com/armbian/os/blob/main/userpatches/extensions/omv.sh (download this extension and place it into your build directory)

 

./compile.sh BOARD="uefi-x86" BRANCH=current RELEASE=bookworm ENABLE_EXTENSIONS="omv" KERNEL_CONFIGURE="no" BUILD_MINIMAL="yes"

 

  • Igor featured this topic

Hello Igor,

 

try to build OMV for rpi4.

 

./compile.sh BOARD="rpi4b" BRANCH=current RELEASE=bookworm ENABLE_EXTENSIONS="omv" KERNEL_CONFIGURE="no" BUILD_MINIMAL="yes"

 

Got these error messages:

 

[🌿] Enabling extension [ omv ]

[🔨]   ERR: Extension problem -- cant find extension 'omv' anywhere - called by /home/master/build/lib/functions/general/extensions.sh

[💥] Exiting with error 17 [ at /home/master/build/lib/functions/general/extensions.sh:1

               enable_extension() --> lib/functions/general/extensions.sh:1

   initialize_extension_manager() --> lib/functions/general/extensions.sh:135

          do_main_configuration() --> lib/functions/configuration/main-config.sh:317

                do_with_logging() --> lib/functions/logging/section-logging.sh:81

    do_with_conditional_logging() --> lib/functions/logging/section-logging.sh:111

    prep_conf_main_build_single() --> lib/functions/main/config-prepare.sh:29

         cli_standard_build_run() --> lib/functions/cli/cli-build.sh:22

        armbian_cli_run_command() --> lib/functions/cli/utils-cli.sh:136

                 cli_entrypoint() --> lib/functions/cli/entrypoint.sh:176

                           main() --> compile.sh:50

 ]

[💥] Cleaning up [ please wait for cleanups to finish ]

 

What I'm doing wrong?

 

Markus

Downloaded the image Armbian_24.5.9_Rpi4b_bookworm_current_6.6.44-openhab.img, uploaded. Does not work. The page is http://192.168.1.105 not available.

It seems to me that I did not understand you.

When I downloaded the image, I expected that OMV7 was preinstalled there. And after installing it, I hoped that OMV7 would be available for testing.

I am sorry. Apparently this is a translation difficulty.

Hello @AlexVS,

 

you wrote:

Quote

Downloaded the image Armbian_24.5.9_Rpi4b_bookworm_current_6.6.44-openhab.img, uploaded.

That is no image with preinstalled OMV but with preinstalled openhab.

There is no image for ri4 with OMV preinstalled (as far as i see..). You have to build it by yorself.

See DIY on post 1.

 

Markus

 

  • Author
4 hours ago, AlexVS said:

It seems to me that I did not understand you.

 

Proceed as @MacBreaker suggests.

 

45 minutes ago, MacBreaker said:

There is no image for ri4 with OMV preinstalled (as far as i see..). You have to build it by yorself.

 

Exactly. 

Added for future releases:
https://github.com/armbian/os/commit/e87f4f529a8dfadeaa011decc9aa3c65d98c17a5

Thank you very much. Installed the specified image. OMV has started. Now you can test it. 

 

Edited by AlexVS

This is great, thanks for this it's exactly what I wanted!

 

Will this play nice with armbian-config eMMC install? I once tried after installing OMV on an sd card and the emmc transfer wouldn't boot (armbian-config's the only tool I've found to do an emmc install)

  • Author
2 hours ago, 0jay said:

Will this play nice with armbian-config eMMC install?


It should work - depends on the hardware - for the one we don't support, its unknown, for supported one we will try to fix in case of troubles. You can call
 

armbian-install


directly, so you don't install dependencies from armbian-config. There will soon be much lighter version of it, but current one is not very light.

Would any of these OMV images run on a 3328 Renegade?

 

I can run the Libre portability script so figure I just need it to boot

7 minutes ago, Werner said:

you can create your own

 

I intend getting to this in time (also with OpenWRT) but for the moment I'm not in a position to do it.

 

If there's an image that'll boot on a renegade board then at least I can explore

On 9/16/2024 at 9:27 PM, Igor said:

It should work - depends on the hardware

 

Armbian install unfortunately not working to transfer an OMV install on a 3328 renegade board. 

 

It boots but OMV is non functional (and seemingly irreparable)

Edited by 0jay

1 hour ago, Igor said:

SD boot works, but then it fails to properly transfer it?

 

Short summary of process to follow:

 

I burn Armbian with Etcher, update etc and install OMV.

From here I use armbian-install (or armbian-config) to transfer to the eMMC. This is the only tool I've found that makes the eMMC transfer simple (thank you!).

The eMMC system boots and seems fine but OMV is not functional (though it works fine on the SD it was transferred from).

 

As a result I always just transfer the raw Armbian install to eMMC, boot from there and install OMV direct to the eMMC but it would be very handy to be able to transfer from an SD with a working OMV install fully configured as backup.

Edited by 0jay

Hi Igor, any developments with these pre-rolled images?

 

Can I request a Renegade OMV image or will I need to wait for an LTS?

 

Thanks for your time,

Oscar

Hello and thanks for this great work!

 

Today I tried installing `Armbian_24.8.4_Odroidxu4_bookworm_current_6.6.54-omv_minimal.img.xz` (SHA256 confirmed/writing verified/new sd cards) on some Odroid-HC1's. Problem is/was I can't access the devices, I see them only short (reacting to pings) and then vanish again from the network. It behaved the same for 2 different devices.

 

Then I tried the latest normal/minimal image instead: `Armbian_24.8.1_Odroidxu4_bookworm_current_6.6.47_minimal.img.xz` and things work like normal (stays in the network, can access via ssh, ...)

 

Thought maybe the latest omv spin got some error so I tried again with the former stable (same version as minimal atm) `Armbian_24.8.1_Odroidxu4_bookworm_current_6.6.44-omv_minimal.img.xz` but again no luck and when pinging the device seems to be online only less then a minute before vanishing from the network again. Attaching a classic (spinning/mechanical!) hard disk then  gave some "sound" confirmation: The disks spins up around every minute - so most likely boot looping!

 

Can anyone confirm that one of the latest two (24.8.4 or 24.8.1) actually works on a odroid-xu4/hc without boot loop?

 

At the moment I use the Armbian 24.8.1 minimal image mention and install OMV the hard way following this guide: https://wiki.omv-extras.org/doku.php?id=omv7:armbian_bookworm_install

I successfully used Armbian 24.8.1 minimal image mention and installed OMV the hard(er)  way following this guide: 

https://wiki.omv-extras.org/doku.php?id=omv7:armbian_bookworm_install

Edited by lurch

  • Author
7 hours ago, lurch said:

I successfully used Armbian 24.8.1 minimal image mention and installed OMV the hard(er)  way following this guide: 


The problem you are experiencing is probably related to some incompatibility when assembling 32bit OMV. We can't test all assemblies manually (we have no other option) on all targets. 

Perhaps moving installer to run-time is better?
https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Armbian-Software/#adding-example

We will eventually add this, but help is appreciated. 

Hello people.

Today i found the Armbian-OS  for Odroid XU4 with OMV and I wanted to test it on my installation.
Sadly i does not seem to work. The machine does not seems to be connected to my home network.

So i cannot reach the OMV page from the webbrowser and i cannot SSH in to it.

My Odroid XU4 setup is like thus:

1 Odroid XU4Q (the fanless one)

1 Cloudshell appliance in which the XU4Q is mounted

2 old 2TB WD green drives

1 EMMC on with the armbian os on it.

 

I also have an USB to EMMC reader/writer.

 

So i will connect a screen and a keyboard to the XU4 and take a look inside.

If  i could help with log files or tests please let me know i gladly help out when possible.

 

greetings

Tom

 

 

 

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.