Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

OrangePi 5 Pro need help booting into nvme

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

Just received this unit yesterday with my surprise and lack of reading, the unit does not include eMMC or SPI so I am unable to boot directly into nvme drive.

 

Are there instructions somewhere on how to setup the device to boot from MicroSD but use nvme as main drive?

 

Thank you.

Solved by allatutti

as you mentioned OrangePi 5 Pro is missing spi flash, so instead of spi you must use sdcard for boot, you can only move root partition to nvme.


in armbian-config you can use move root to nvme, worked fine as I tested it last time.

Edited by allatutti

  • Solution

with latest armbian build for Orangepi 5 pro you need to:

1) sudo armbian-install

2) select Boot from SD - System on SATA, USB or NVMe

3) confirm and continue with ext4 format etc....

 

after finish and reboot you will have root on nvme, you can check it with command df -h

  • Author

using the armbian-install configuration did not work well for me.

 

I figured out that I had to dd an image to my nvme device then edit the orangepiEnv.txt file in the mmc (actual boot device) and add the UUID for the nvme partition under rootdev=

 

Also, after this is done and you are booting, you need to edit your /etc/fstab to load the mmc boot partition.

 

/dev/mmcblk1p1    /boot    vfat    defaults    0    2

 

That why if you want to install a new kernel, it installs it in the right place.

I was able to get this working using the guide here:

https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip/wiki/Ubuntu-24.04-LTS

 

I made sure SPI was installed on the SD card.

 

After that I made sure to install the OS onto the M2 SSD.

 

Afterwards I removed the root partition on the SD card and it boots, first to the SD and then the SSD takes over and the OS runs on the SSD.

Read post on October 27 2024    Worked for me but with a couple extra steps

burn .iso cfcard
boot into device 
dd mmblk to nvme
edit UUID for nvme -- Request new UUID for NVME
(when dd I had the same UUID for cf card and nvme)
edit orangpiEnv.txt in the armbian-config /System/Kernel/Edit Boot Env
and apply the new UUID to the rootdev="New UUID"
Edit fstab to add this line:  /dev/mmcblk1p1    /boot    vfat    defaults    0    2 itd

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.