Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Radxa Zero 2 Pro using Waveshare 4 inch DSI LCD

Featured Replies

Hello,

Thank you for the great effort of Armbian having community support of this board.

 

I have a Waveshare 4inch DSI LCD with touch that I want to use it with Radxa Zero 2 Pro. They have a device tree overlay provided for Raspberry Pi and drivers for different kernels for RPi

 

And I found a kernel patch that seem to enable DSI here.

 

**********************************************************************

 

I am using the latest build of Armbian for radxa-zero2 and it's Linux radxa-zero2 6.6.53-current-meson64

 

When I

find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -type f -name '*dsi*'

It shows

/lib/modules/6.6.53-current-meson64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/hisilicon/kirin/dw_drm_dsi.ko
/lib/modules/6.6.53-current-meson64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-dsi-cm.ko
/lib/modules/6.6.53-current-meson64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/nwl-dsi.ko
/lib/modules/6.6.53-current-meson64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/cadence/cdns-dsi.ko
/lib/modules/6.6.53-current-meson64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/ti-sn65dsi83.ko
/lib/modules/6.6.53-current-meson64/kernel/drivers/mtd/nand/raw/nandsim.ko

 

When I

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep DSI

It shows

CONFIG_MTD_NAND_NANDSIM=m
CONFIG_DRM_MIPI_DSI=y
CONFIG_DRM_PANEL_DSI_CM=m
CONFIG_DRM_NWL_MIPI_DSI=m
# CONFIG_DRM_SAMSUNG_DSIM is not set
CONFIG_DRM_TI_SN65DSI83=m
# CONFIG_DRM_TI_SN65DSI86 is not set
CONFIG_DRM_CDNS_DSI=m
CONFIG_DRM_CDNS_DSI_J721E=y
CONFIG_DRM_DW_MIPI_DSI=y
CONFIG_DRM_MESON_DW_MIPI_DSI=y

 

Questions

AFAIK, that means the DSI interface is enabled and what I need to do is to compile a .dtbo device tree overlay based on Waveshare's and then load it into the system? 

 

And I assume the LCD needs some kind of 'driver' but Waveshare only provides some .ko and .dtso files in their GitHub repo. They have as recent as kernel 

6.6.20, can I use that driver and how?

 

As for compiling a device tree source DTS into a Device Tree Blog DTB, do I use the traditional way of 


dtc -I dts -O dtb -o output_file.dtb input_file.dts

or using


armbian-add-overlay

(however the documentation says DT overlays are a Work-in-Progress (WIP) feature, present only in certain images.)

 

Is there a way that I can verify if the DSI interface is functioning at all before I move on to the driver and overlay issue? That way I won't be working with too many uncertainties. I measured some of the pins on the DSI port on the monitor side and they seem to be 'functioning` (as there are pins with voltages and a 3.3v, plus there's  LED on the monitor that is blinking - I didn't go as far as checking if the 3.3v pin is in accordance of the Radxa Zero 2 Pro side for the DSI port, nor I did try to logic analyse other pins)

 

**********************************************************************

 

I have tried to compile Armbian and choose ` > Device Drivers > Graphics support > DRM support for MIPI DBI compatible panels > *

Screenshot 2024-10-16 at 6.08.57 PM.png

Edited by Frankie Yuen

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.