Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Limit of PPP Connections on Armbian with Multiple USB 3G/4G Dongles

Featured Replies

Hello everyone,

I’ve been working with 25-30 USB 3G/4G dongles successfully on Debian and Ubuntu, where all connections work without issues. However, on Armbian, I can only establish around 10 PPPoE connections.

 

Here are the details of my setup:

  • OS: Armbian based on Debian 10 (I also tried updating to Debian 11) - IMG: Sunvell rkship and 
  • Kernel Version: linux-image-current-sunxi 24.11.1
  • Packages Used: ppp, eject, and usb-modeswitch (tested with the latest versions)
  • Logs: /var/log/ppp.log doesn’t show any errors.

Isos: 

 

I’ve read that some kernel parameters may limit handling multiple PPP sessions or high network traffic. For example, I came across the parameter net.core.max_skb_frags, which seems relevant but I haven’t made adjustments yet.

Has anyone encountered this issue or know what configurations I can tweak to improve Armbian's capability to handle more PPPoE connections?

Any advice on kernel parameters, USB handling, or PPP configurations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Eugenio Eugenio said:

I’ve been working with 25-30 USB 3G/4G dongles successfully on Debian and Ubuntu

 

I assume you achieved this performance on cca. 20 x more expensive Intel based hardware? First lets rule out user space. Try Armbian x86 https://www.armbian.com/uefi-x86/ on that.

 

9 hours ago, Eugenio Eugenio said:
  • Armbian 21.05.1 stable, kernel 4.4 (SoC Rockchip rk322x)
  • Armbian 20 - Debian 10 ARM (SoC Alllwinner H3) - Sunvell R69

 

None of this was ever officially supported. And those are 3-4 years builds from 3rd party repository. Armbian makes tools for making custom OS and this was made by "someone" from a vendor kernel that is deprecated in years.

 

9 hours ago, Eugenio Eugenio said:

Any advice on kernel parameters

 

I can only give you general advice. 

 

- develop image around modern kernel ( config exists but it might not work https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/config/boards/sunvell-r69.tvb and https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/config/boards/rk322x-box.tvb)

- use hardware that is capable of achieving this

 

Good luck.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.