December 22, 20241 yr Hi I am new to this forum and to Armbian but am enjoying the work of all those who have contributed. having installed Armbian for the first time could someone please confirm or otherwise if WiFi is supposed to be working on the RPI5 internal adapter? my install does not even see it at all it’s like it does not exist can it be turned on in simple terms for a noob?
January 12, 20251 yr Author Solution Just in case this is of interest to anyone I found a solution which was to install Armbian-firmware-full
February 9, 20251 yr If you happen to figure out which firmware files we need, we can copy them to smaller firmware package that is installed by default: https://github.com/armbian/firmware (pull request is welcome)
February 12, 20251 yr @Igor I believe these are the files needed, but I'm not 100% mihanson@rpi5-desktop:~ $ ls -l /lib/firmware/brcm/*raspberrypi,5* | grep -v zst lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jan 18 20:58 /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM4345C0.raspberrypi,5-model-b.hcd -> BCM4345C0.hcd lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jan 18 21:03 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi,5-model-b.bin -> ../cypress/cyfmac43455-sdio.bin lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Jan 18 21:03 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi,5-model-b.clm_blob -> ../cypress/cyfmac43455-sdio.clm_blob lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jan 18 20:59 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi,5-model-b.txt -> brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt mihanson@rpi5-desktop:~ $ ls -l /etc/alternatives/ | grep cyf lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 51 Apr 10 2024 cyfmac43455-sdio.bin -> /lib/firmware/cypress/cyfmac43455-sdio-standard.bin
February 12, 20251 yr 9 minutes ago, mihanson said: but I'm not 100% Could be. I also don't know - has to be tested. Can you jut open a PR with those files to firmware repo? I can test perhaps next week.
February 13, 20251 yr @Igor Pull request with the needed files. I have never worked with GitHub before, so I'm open to constructive criticism. Please excuse any mistakes. Based on my local install, I think these files are all that is needed.
February 13, 20251 yr 5 hours ago, mihanson said: Please excuse any mistakes. No worries, I am happy that you tried. Its never too late to learn new tools, and Git is the most important tool in this world. 5 hours ago, mihanson said: I have never worked with GitHub before, so I'm open to constructive criticism. What you did wrong is removing other files - keep old, add new, then we merge them into the code. Principle goes this way: 1. You make a clone of this Git (git clone ...) 2. You checkout to a new branch (git checkout -b adding_rpi5_firm) 3. Add files to correct location (which it looks like you did) 4. Push the code and open pull request Some generic instructions: https://docs.armbian.com/Process_Contribute/ https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md Also some AI tool can help you driving this process easily.
February 13, 20251 yr Ok, I see. Well, in that case all the needed files are already there. I don't know if the symlinks are needed (I suspect they are present for readability). If you wanted to make a small package for the RPi5 WiFi only, those are the files to add. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
February 13, 20251 yr @c0rnelius added missing files https://github.com/armbian/firmware/pull/100/files right. I guess this is it, just merging it.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.