Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Featured Replies

I'm using an Orange Pi 5 Plus 16GB SBC, with Armbian image (https://dl.armbian.com/orangepi5-plus/Bookworm_current_cinnamon-backported-mesa) which uses Kernel 6.12. I am trying to get a BME280 I2C sensor attached to the following pins of the 40 pins; 1 (3.3v), 3 (GPIO0C0), 5 (GPIO0B7), and 6 (GND). The BME280 sensor has the VIN wired to 3.3v (pin 1), SDA wired to SDA (pin 3), SCL wired to SCL (pin 5), and GND to GND (pin 6). The device should use address 0x76, but isn't listed under the four I2C buses found in /dev.

 

This configuration worked fine when using the stock OrangePi 5 Plus Debian Bookworm image, but does not have I2C2 listed as a device under /dev under Armbian image listed above.

 

My armbianEnv.txt is:

verbosity=1
bootlogo=true
console=both
overlay_prefix=rockchip-rk3588
fdtfile=rockchip/rk3588-orangepi-5-plus.dtb
rootdev=UUID=3cbd3c35-190b-4cc5-8db3-4334fa84ccbd
rootfstype=ext4
overlays=rockchip-rk3588-i2c8-m2
usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

 

I have attached 4 images (screenshots) with the following captions
i2c.png - List of I2C buses and addresses (Armbian Image)

i2c_2.png - List of DTBs (Armbian Image)
i2c_3.png - List of DTBOs aka overlays (Armbian Image)

i2c_opi2.png - List of I2C buses and addresses of I2C2 (Orange Pi Debian 12 Image)

 

Why isn't I2C2 found in /dev of Armbian image? 
 

 

i2c.png

i2c_2.png

i2c_3.png

i2c_opi2.png

Solved by Robert Pace

  • Author

Where would one find an arbian vendor os image for the Orange Pi 5 Plus? I don't see anything on Orange Pi 5+ Download page labeled as "Armbian". I do see Orange PI OS with a similar naming structure (24.xxx). I also note that the Orange Pi OS images are still using the quite old Kernel 5.10.160 with no indication as to whether the kernel isn't as fresh as the Debian Bookworm image at Kernel 6.1.43 which has issues with RDP (even with xorgxrdp).

https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-5-plus/

 

Scroll down to either server or desktop images featuring 6.1 kernel. These come with 6.1.75 I think. Shortly after the release there was a transition to the most recent rockchip sdk kernel which bumped to the version to 6.1.84. You can find a pre-made Trixie based one as pre-release image here for testing: https://github.com/armbian/os/releases

  • Author

I installed a vendor based desktop image (Armbian_24.11.2_Orangepi5-plus_bookworm_vendor_6.1.75_cinnamon-backported-mesa_desktop.img.xz), loaded the i2c2-m0 kernel overlay, and rebooted. Again no i2c2 bus available. This is on an Orange Pi 5 Plus (16gig) SBC.

Here is a link to an armbian-monitor -u output

https://paste.next.armbian.com/codiqumesu
 

Attached are other diagnostic outputs. The desire is to read a bme280 sensor connected to the gpio pins via i2c. See original post for details of  gpio wiring.

 

Any help would be appreciated. I note that there is no I2C-2 device listed in /dev.

Screenshot 2024-12-29 133812.png

Screenshot 2024-12-29 134207.png

Screenshot 2024-12-29 134517.png

If you have a chance please also test against the Trixie image with updated vendor bsp kernel (6.1.84) I mentioned above. Just to be sure this wasn't fixed by rockchip already.

 

Also as a last resort check old archives for images based on 5.10.y which is (almost) the same kernel as the images provided by Orangepi: https://fi.mirror.armbian.de/oldarchive/orangepi5-plus/archive/

  • Author
  • Solution
Quote

If you have a chance please also test against the Trixie image with updated vendor bsp kernel (6.1.84) I mentioned above. Just to be sure this wasn't fixed by rockchip already.

 

I tested with https://dl.armbian.com/nightly/orangepi5-plus/Trixie_vendor_minimal and after installing i2c-tools and adding i2c2-m0 overlay with armbian-config I could see i2c2 with i2cdetect -l, and could see 0x76 show up on bus 2.

 

I would love to have an desktop image with support for mesa that has functional i2c2-m0 functionality do you know of such an image?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.