Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Installing 24.11 on Orange Pi 5 Plus

Featured Replies

Hello Developers,

 

I ran into some issues installing the latest release on an Orange Pi 5 Plus.

 

The images I downloaded are as follows:

 

 Armbian_24.11.2_Orangepi5-plus_noble_current_6.12.0_kde-neon-kisak_desktop.img.xz
 Armbian_24.11.2_Orangepi5-plus_noble_vendor_6.1.75_gnome-kisak_desktop.img.xz

 

The KDE version will install and boot from the 256GB emmc drive, however it only works if there is a 4K HDMI monitor attached to HDMI1, I was not able to get it to display on a 1920x1200 HDMI monitor nor a USB connected or HDMI connected portable display (2560x1440).

 

The Gnome version will boot with any of those 4 types of displays (4K HDMI, 1920x1200 HDMI and USB C or USB C to HDMI portable display) so in the end I would most likely install the GNOME version and then add KDE or Enlightenment packages to it since I don't like GNOME at all (20 yrs Debian/XFCE4 user).

 

There is one issue I have with the GNOME version: It does not detect the emmc drive and only the SD card and the 500 GB NVME drives are showing up in gparted and fdisk. 

 

I am looking forward to using Armbian on an Orange Pi 5 Plus as my daily desktop and I hope this can be easily resolved.  I am open to using either version as long as I can use a portable USB C or HDMI display with less than 4K resolution.

 

thanks

-ali


 

Solved by Werner

51 minutes ago, asayed said:

The KDE version will install and boot from the 256GB emmc drive, however it only works if there is a 4K HDMI monitor

Expected since this image uses mainline 6.12.y kernel which has basic hdmi support at most. 6.13 will bring a few more features but there is still lots of things WIP.

 

51 minutes ago, asayed said:

The Gnome version will boot with any of those 4 types of displays

This image uses Rockchip SDK kernel which is almost feature-complete.

 

52 minutes ago, asayed said:

I would most likely install the GNOME version and then add KDE or Enlightenment packages

You can use the build framework to create a clean KDE Plasma or Neon featuring image.

 

53 minutes ago, asayed said:

It does not detect the emmc drive

Hm. The sdk kernel has been bumped in version shortly after the November release. Please try this image I made for testing if that detects the eMMC correctly:

https://fi.mirror.armbian.de/.testing/Armbian-unofficial_25.02.0-trunk_Orangepi5-plus_noble_vendor_6.1.84_kde-neon-kisak_desktop.img.xz

  • Author

Hi,

 

thanks for the quick response.  I never noticed this till now but it seems that even though the KDE and GNOME versions are both at 24.11 the kernels are different.  Gnome being at 6.1.75 and KDE at 6.12.0. What's interesting is that the download page says all 5 versions are supposed to be at kernel 6.12 so I never thought about verifying the kernel versions :)

 

I downloaded KDE 25.02 from the link above and will test it soon to provide an update. There is also a version with Kernel 6.1 on the download page, I suppose I could try that one also. thanks.

We provide just a very small selection of images for each hw and even that eats a lot into our resources. See https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_FAQ/#why-is-there-no-image-for-board-with-bookwormjammynobletrixie-and-minimalclignomekdexfce-with-vendorlegacycurrentedge-kernel

 

However the build framework makes it very easy to combine whatever you want together. Just like the image I provided you ;)

https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

  • Author

Hi,

 

If this 25.02 image does not work then I will definitely try the build framework.

 

One quick question: Will the build framework support the GPU drivers for the Mali-610.  I know that Debain/XFCe is lacking the hardware drivers and I could not even locate the packages in the Bookworm versions you have available.  There is a significant difference in performance (glmark2) between the Debian and the Ubuntu versions and I do plan to do some lightweight 3D  apps (Blender, FreeCAD, etc) on the Orange Pi.

 

thanks again for all your help.

-ali

 

Build your image with ENABLE_EXTENSIONS=mesa-vpu. This will address necessary packages for acceleration, depending on which kernel you choose. For desktop usage I recommend going for vendor branch (kernel 6.1.y to say) as mainline is still under heavy development.

  • Author

Thanks again.

 

The 25.02 you provided did not find the emmc, so I am assuming its a kernel issue and not an Armbian thing.  I noticed 6.13 is getting close to coming out, Fedora claims its on 6.13.0 so I am sure it will be in Debian (tesing/sid) soon enough. I am going to try some Debain or Armbian Bookworm images and see if I can upgrade in place Trixie - its all an experiment anyway for now.

 

-ali

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.