July 1, 20251 yr I use a Raspberry Pi 5 and use I2C1 with external eeprom. With v25.5.1 up to kernel 6.6.63-current-bcm2711, /dev/i2c-1 is there (activated in /boot/firmware/config.txt with dtparam=i2c_arm=on) and communication with eeprom works fine. With newer kernel versions, communication works not, /dev/i2c-1 does not exist anymore in this case without changing any configuration, just selected newer kernel using armbian-config Any ideas why this happens? Edited July 1, 20251 yr by CDit
July 1, 20251 yr It appears that Heiko is the maintainer for RPi boards (all varieties?) in Armbian, but I believe @Igor also has the device and maybe he can repond. I suggest you try to talk to Heiko and see if he has something to say. I just perused the git sources and you might want to talk to Pander as well.
July 1, 20251 yr 14 hours ago, CDit said: Any ideas why this happens? Feature regressions are expected - Linux kernel is complicated machinery and without spending hours, a day or a week investigating, it's usually not possible to tell. We don't touch Rpi kernels much. We have our own kernel config, but we use official Rpi sources, so I guess 1st step would be looking if someone reported something similar https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues 14 hours ago, CDit said: selected newer kernel By newer you mean 6.12.y, 6.16.y ... or 6.6.63 ->
July 5, 20251 yr I hadn't done an upgrade but a fresh install; (v25.5.1 for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B running Armbian Linux 6.12.28-current-bcm2711) Realised that I had the same problem, only channel 2 was present; though I only realised something was missing when I'd tried RaspberryOS on a Pi Zero with the same i2c device. Adding to the /boot/config.txt didn't of itself solve the issue; adding the i2c1 to the armbian-config overlays also didn't see. However I did find the `/boot/firmware/config.txt` that has a lot more settings, and seems to be where armbian-config edits Note the `dtparam-i2c_arm=on` line... which was commented out. Adding that back and it works... (well after figuring out I needed to level shift the i2c device but that's another story) # For more options and information see # http://rptl.io/configtxt # Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details # Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces dtparam=i2c_arm=on #dtparam=i2s=on #dtparam=spi=on # .. dtoverlay=dwc2 i2c0 i2c1 i2c-gpio vc4-kms-v3d
July 14, 20251 yr I encountered the same issue using a custom v25.08 "RPi4b" image with kernel 6.12.37-current-bcm2711. I found out, that adding the following line to /boot/firmware/config.txt brings back the missing i2c device: Zitat dtoverlay=i2c1-pi5 However, this used to happen automatically with the old "RPi5" images.
July 18, 20251 yr On 7/14/2025 at 5:06 PM, CaWeissWz said: Quote dtoverlay=i2c1-pi5 @Igor Is this something that Armbian can add automatically for a board? Maybe that it did in the past?
July 19, 20251 yr 18 hours ago, laibsch said: Is this something that Armbian can add automatically for a board? Maybe that it did in the past? In the past we had dedicated image for rpi5 ... It could be added here: https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/packages/bsp/common/usr/lib/armbian/armbian-firstrun#L112-L122
July 20, 20251 yr I don't have time to work on this right away, so to make sure this does not fall off the radar, I opened a ticket in the tracker.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.