Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Unsupported kernel version while updating raspi-firmware on Debian 13

Featured Replies

Recently, when I run `armbian-upgrade`, I was greeted with an update to raspi-firmware. However, this version of firmware doesn't seem to work with the corresponding intramfs with kernel 6.12.44.

 

sudo armbian-upgrade
Hit:1 https://mirrors.ustc.edu.cn/armbian trixie InRelease
Hit:2 https://mirrors.ustc.edu.cn/debian trixie InRelease
Hit:3 https://mirrors.ustc.edu.cn/debian trixie-updates InRelease
Hit:4 https://mirrors.ustc.edu.cn/debian-security trixie-security InRelease
Hit:5 https://github.armbian.com/configng stable InRelease
Get:6 https://apt.syncthing.net syncthing InRelease [24.2 kB]
Fetched 24.2 kB in 2s (14.8 kB/s)
2 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
The following packages will be upgraded:
  armbian-config  raspi-firmware

Summary:
  Upgraded: 2, Newly installed: 0, To remove: 0, Not upgraded: 0
  Download size: 13.2 MB
  Space required/available: 272 kB / 553 GB

Get:1 https://mirrors.ustc.edu.cn/armbian trixie/trixie-utils arm64 raspi-firmware all 1:1.20250915-1~bookworm [13.0 MB]
Get:2 https://github.armbian.com/configng stable/main arm64 armbian-config all 25.11.0-trunk.234.0923.175957 [157 kB]
Fetched 13.2 MB in 2s (5,967 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 46602 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../raspi-firmware_1%3a1.20250915-1~bookworm_all.deb  ...
Unpacking raspi-firmware (1:1.20250915-1~bookworm) over (1:1.20250430-4~bookworm) ...
Preparing to unpack .../armbian-config_25.11.0-trunk.234.0923.175957_all.deb  ...
Unpacking armbian-config (25.11.0-trunk.234.0923.175957) over (25.11.0-trunk.192.0915.191809) ...
Setting up armbian-config (25.11.0-trunk.234.0923.175957) ...
Setting up raspi-firmware (1:1.20250915-1~bookworm) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/initramfs/post-update.d/z50-raspi-firmware ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/kernel/postinst.d/z50-raspi-firmware ...
WARNING: Unsupported kernel version (6.12.44-current-bcm2711) - skipping setup
NOTE: Manual boot configuration may be required
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.148.3) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.12.44-current-bcm2711
WARNING: Unsupported initramfs version (6.12.44-current-bcm2711) - skipping setup
NOTE: Manual boot configuration may be required
Summary:
  Upgraded: 0, Newly installed: 0, To remove: 0, Not upgraded: 0

 

How exactly should I do in this case? In the past, I normally invoke update-intramfs to perform the  the intramfs update.

 

Thanks,

 

may not help you (i'm running the pi4 build) but i find that putting holds on rpi-eeprom, raspi-firmware and raspberrypi-sys-mods from first boot solves this problem

I think this "unsupported version" thingy when doing initramfs update is just a cosmetical thing. The script comes from upstream and checks for version string included in upstream (directly from Raspberry to say) kernels.  However I believe this has been worked around by our own bsp which is silently executed right after.

Cannot tell for sure if that's the issue I remember it is since I don't have access to hw atm.

  • Author

@0jay it should also happen for your build as well since I'm using generic Raspberry Pi build on RPi5. Or you never see it because of the "hold"?

 

@Werner That's good to know. May I know if there's any way for me to check for certain? Thanks a lot!

I think there are some directories in /etc which contain initramfs pre/post scripts. I don't have hw on hand to check right now but I believe there was some script starting with z50- filename that contained this check and there should be a 2nd one from Armbian that actually does what the upstream script refuses to do.

6 minutes ago, lovenemesis said:

Or you never see it because of the "hold"?

If I hold those packages I don't see any issues at all.

57 minutes ago, Werner said:

more or less cosmetical - error

 

I was having some pretty substantial problems with several different builds before developing this hold pattern, Werner

  • Author

Sorry for the late feedback. I was waiting for a new kernel update (6.12.54-bcm2711) to confirm it was all right.

 

Just as what @Werner said, in the `/etc/initramfs/post-update.d/z50-raspi-firmware` contains snippets of the code that prints out the error. And it's indeed no actual harm.

 

Also, without setting on-hold of the `raspi-firmware`, kernel updates works just fine.

 

We are good. Thank you all!

Edited by lovenemesis

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.