Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bug Report: Armbian Edge Kernel 6.16.4 + xfsprogs (trixie package) = Failure To Start low-memory-monitor.service

Featured Replies

Hardware: 		OrangePI-5-Plus (rk3588), with "32 GB" of RAM
Operating System: 	Debian Trixie (pure, except EFI boot and Armbian edge kernel)
Root File System:	Ext4 (encrypted)
Desktop:		KDE Plasma 6.3.6 (wayland, GDM3), KDE Frameworks version: 6.13.0, QT version: 6.8.2

EFI Source:		https://github.com/edk2-porting/edk2-rk3588

 

The boot messages, after a few starts (spaced apart) of the low-memory-monitor.service, say there's a failure to start it.

After booting is complete, here's a screenshot of the output of:

systemctl status low-memory-monitor.service

low-memory-monitor.thumb.png.88fa3bb3fb29f5b3264c65a03251f146.png

 

This error didn't show up until I installed a number of packages. I tracked down the offending package from the Trixie repository:

Package:	xfsprogs
Version:	6.13.0-2+b1
Size:		4774 kB
Description:	A set of commands to use the XFS filesystem, including mkfs.xfs

 

Once this package was removed, the error vanished, and a repeat of the above Status command reported low-memory-monitor-service as active and okay.

 

I also found that, while the error occurred with the Armbian edge 6.16.4 kernel, it did NOT occur with the Debian 6.16.3 kernel.

 

Kernel With The Error (kernel source: Armbian trixie)
---------------------
Package:    linux-image-edge-rockchip64 (Armbian Linux edge kernel image 6.16.4-edge-rockchip64)
Version:    25.8.1
Size:       282 MB


Kernel Without The Error (kernel source: Debian trixie-backports)
------------------------
Package:    linux-image-6.16.3+deb13-arm64-unsigned (Linux 6.16 for 64-bit ARMv8 machines)
Version:    6.16.3-1~bpo13+1
Size:       210 MB

 

I also briefly tried regressing the Armbian edge kernel from 25.8.1 (6.16.4) to the previously available version of 25.5.2, which was 6.16.0-rc3 (I think). The error occurred with that kernel as well.

 

An Effect of This Bug (Possibly)

When this error was showing up, I was once using the internet (firefox-esr package version 140.3.1esr-1~deb13u1) for a while, when after closing it, I discovered that my desktop background image had changed on its own. I could not change it back, no matter what I did (in the KDE settings gui). I could change it to something else, but whenever I changed it back, the altered image returned instead of what it should have been. But once I rebooted, the background was back to normal. While this one experience (very much an outlier) may not be conclusive, it is indicative of a possible memory leak.

 

Edited by The Tall Man

  • The Tall Man changed the title to Bug Report: Armbian Edge Kernel 6.16.4 + xfsprogs (trixie package) = Failure To Start low-memory-monitor.service

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.