Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Custom Build on new version(25.11.0 ) is not enabling Panfrost (Mali) GPU driver (BOARD=orangepi5-plus BRANCH=vendor RELEASE=noble DESKTOP=cinnamon)

Featured Replies

Hi Guys,
I just did a new custom Armbian build  ./compile.sh BOARD=orangepi5-plus BRANCH=vendor RELEASE=noble KERNEL_ONLY=yes KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no.
The image is Armbian-unofficial_25.11.0-trunk_Orangepi5-plus_noble_vendor_6.1.115_cinnamon_desktop and when I installed it on orangepi I see it is not supporting Panfrost/Mail:
glxinfo | grep -E "OpenGL renderer|OpenGL version"
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 20.1.2, 128 bits) OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 25.0.7-0ubuntu0.24.04.2

but for older image Old_Armbian-unofficial_25.08.0-trunk_Orangepi5-plus_noble_vendor_6.1.115_cinnamon_desktop All was well
glxinfo | grep -E "OpenGL renderer|OpenGL version"
OpenGL renderer string: Mali-G610 (Panfrost) OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 25.0.7-0ubuntu0.24.04.2 

I did need to enable "ARM Mail Display Processor" under Device Drivers -> Graphics support -> ARM devices before I perform custom build.
And I did this for both OS version 25.11.0 and 25.08.0.
But newer version is not able to use it.
Thanks

Manish

I'm having the same problem with an official 25.8.2 / 6.1.115.

It's a new build, jumping to today's 25.11.1 / 6.12.58 to see if it changes.

I tested v25.11.1 https://www.armbian.com/orangepi-5/ released yesterday - vendor kernel, Gnome desktop, acceleration works, 4k video playing with Chromium, audio works ... Since I don't have model + right on hand, i didn't test it. But its very similar board and I assume it works. It should even boot with image for normal Opi 5 but all peripherals won't be working correctly.

Bad News: same issue with 25.11.1 / 6.12.58, and a few others...

Worse News: The issue affects all rk3588's (Orange Pi 5/5B/5+, Rock 5A/5B/5C, etc.).

Good News: PR is a permanent fix for all images, and also identifies an immediate workaround that only requires a reboot (add "overlays=panthor-gpu" to /boot/armbianEnv.txt).

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/8979 

 

Digging deeper @Igor... I tried 25.11.1 Noble Gnome Vendor 6.1.115 from today, and am also seeing Mali-G610.

However it's [disabled for xfce](https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/d2e208ace18b8003f926057ddfc038f8cce0bce0/extensions/mesa-vpu.sh#L19). I'm also reading some conflicting info so guessing there have been other conversations I'm not aware of. I started another post to try and better understand expectations.

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.