Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Unable to install 'wireguard'

Featured Replies

I have a raspberry pi running "Armbian 25.11.0-trunk.38 trixie" - I want to use this as a gateway, including running wireguard. When I install 'wireguard' and 'wireguard-tools' I receive this error:

 

```

Summary:                                                                                                                                                                                  
  Upgrading: 0, Installing: 0, Removing: 0, Not Upgrading: 2                                                                                                                              
  2 not fully installed or removed.                                                                                                                                                       
  Space needed: 0 B / 27.9 GB available                                                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                                                                          
Setting up linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64 (6.12.48-1) ...                                                                                                                             
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:                                                                                                                                                   
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64                                                                                                                      
WARNING: Unsupported initramfs version (6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64) - skipping setup                                                                                                          
NOTE: Manual boot configuration may be required                                                                                                                                           
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/z50-raspi-firmware:                                                                                                                                                
WARNING: Unsupported kernel version (6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64) - skipping setup                                                                                                             
NOTE: Manual boot configuration may be required                                                                                                                                           
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zzz-copy-new-files:                                                                                                                                                
cp: cannot stat '/usr/lib/linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64//overlays': No such file or directory                                                                                        
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zzz-copy-new-files exited with return code 1                                                                                                            
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64 (--configure):                                                                                                          
 installed linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1                                                                    
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-rt-arm64:                                                                                                                  
 linux-image-rt-arm64 depends on linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64 (= 6.12.48-1); however:                                                                                               
  Package linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64 is not configured yet.                                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                                                                          
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-rt-arm64 (--configure):                                                                                                                        
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured                                                                                                                                               
Errors were encountered while processing:                                                                                                                                                 
 linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64                                                                                                                                                       
 linux-image-rt-arm64                     

```

 

It looks like the linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64 (6.12.48-1 package is trying to install an overlay in '/usr/lib/linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64//overlays' but that directory does not exist.

The description of this package says: "This package depends on the latest Linux kernel and modules for use on 64-bit ARMv8 machines. " 

 

```

ic  linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64 6.12.48-1                      arm64        Linux 6.12 for 64-bit ARMv8 machines (signed), PREEMPT_RT
ii  linux-image-current-bcm2711        25.8.2                         arm64        Armbian Linux current kernel image 6.12.56-current-bcm2711
rc  linux-image-rt-arm64               6.12.48-1                      arm64        Linux for 64-bit ARMv8 machines (meta-package)

```

 

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

 

fastfetch output:

 

image.thumb.png.7bc218df5b0e3a6e52e25ab53df93405.png

Strange thing is that on Armbian Trixie (arm64), if I do 'apt install wireguard', I get as dependencies:

linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64  linux-image-rt-arm64  wireguard-tools
 

On vanilla Debian Tixie (arm64), only wireguard-tools

 

Even if I remove/disable all armbian sources, same problem. 

 

Anyway the fix/cleanup that works for me (RK3588 platform):

apt purge linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64 linux-image-rt-arm64

apt-mark manual wireguard-tools
 

10 hours ago, eselarm said:

Strange thing is that on Armbian Trixie (arm64), if I do 'apt install wireguard', I get as dependencies:

linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-rt-arm64  linux-image-rt-arm64  wireguard-tools

Nothing strange there. The wireguard package comes from trixie which has dependency to debian's own kernel packages. The package cannot know that there is wireguard kernel-wise already in place or even know about Armbian kernel packages. So this is kind of expected.

However I think at some point Armbian kernel packages included a apt information that it provides wireguard. Not sure about the status there.

But why the Real-Time kernel and not the normal (linux-image-arm64) kernel package?

 

I actually did run it as a systemd-nspawn -bxD <btrfs read-only snapshot> , so Armbian as container and host vanilla Debian. The actual kernel is then 6.12.48+deb13-arm64, but indeed the Armbian userspace (rootfs tree) has a few others/custom kernels installed only, so standard kernel package is missing.
 

 

Quick retest in the container if I also install normal Debian kernel:

 

root@ranc:~# apt install linux-image-arm64 wireguard
Installing:                     
  linux-image-arm64  wireguard

Installing dependencies:
  linux-image-6.12.48+deb13-arm64  wireguard-tools

Suggested packages:
  firmware-linux-free  linux-doc-6.12  debian-kernel-handbook  openresolv  | resolvconf

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.