Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rockpi 4B Networking issues

Featured Replies

Hi,

I am posting this here to notify you about the serious networking performance issue on my Rockpi 4B board. Ever since I installed the Trixie release, the networking on the board has been poor/not working at all. I cannot even run an apt update

 

If I try to connect via SSH, I get:
 

root@rockpi:~# apt update
0% [Connected to github.armbian.com (185.199.110.153)] [Waiting for headers] [Waiting for headers]client_loop: send disconnect: Connection reset

>ssh root@192.168.0.200
ssh_dispatch_run_fatal: Connection to 192.168.0.206 port 22: Connection timed out

 

I don't know where to start / what to check here. When I turn on the board, it works barely at starting, very slowly before becoming unresponsive.

 

Technical Details:

Board: Rockpi 4B
Armbian version: Armbian_community_26.2.0-trunk.44_Rockpi-4b_trixie_current_6.12.60_minimal
Boot media: 250GB M.2 PCIE SSD

Old Working: Armbian_community_25.2.0-trunk.195_Rockpi-4b_bookworm_current_6.6.66_minimal

This issue started only after installing the Trixie images. The bookworm image works butter smooth and flawless.

 

I am sorry if I am cross-posting this, but I couldn't find any known related issue on this board. Thanks in advance!

  • Author

Made some progress today. For debugging, I built my own image with the Edge kernel (6.18). However, this time, the board did not even boot up and there was also no signal on HDMI. The last idea I had was to downgrade the kernel using armbian-config. But since the Ethernet is not working, I was trying to setup WiFi because armbian-config was trying to load apt cache but without internet, I cannot load anything. After multiple reboots, I slowly cached the apt. Then the armbian-config loaded. I downgraded the kernel from 6.12.60 to 6.6.63 and then the Ethernet started working fine! ☺️ 

 

Current version:

$ uname -a
Linux rockpi.dev.com 6.6.63-current-rockchip64 #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 22 14:38:37 UTC 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux

$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Armbian_community 26.2.0-trunk.44 trixie
Release:        13
Codename:       trixie

 

I am now confident that somewhere after Kernel 6.6, the Ethernet is broken in Rockpi 4B.

Edited by helios

I believe I'm having a similar issue. I'm running the Renegade Rockchip Libre Computer ROC-RK3328-CC-V1.3-8 and I've tried 6.12.32-current-rockchip64 as Debian IOT Minimal and as the Ubuntu Server versions from https://www.armbian.com/renegade/. Unfortunately the onboard ethernet phy is not working but I can use a USB ethernet just fine.

 

I'm not super sure where to start troubleshooting other than a binary search for the version that broke things. If more info is needed from my setup I'm happy to post, let me know.

Ok update.. I used a USB Ethernet to update and now the local phy is showing as end0 and it works. I'm kind of doubting my story now. I know the initial login could not connect to the Ethernet. After I installed on the local emmc and upgraded via apt upgrade things work now. I think this is a non-issue.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.