April 4Apr 4 After more than six successful years with Helios4, I have to say goodbye to this platform and the highly valued, helpful, and knowledgeable Armbian forum. With 32-bit, it’s no longer feasible to continue using it in the future. I have installed the 4 8TB hard drives from the NAS into an Odroid H4+ (Intel, 64-bit), installed OMV8, and on top of that, Nextcloud-AIO Hub 26 Winter and AdGuardHome. Thank you very much for your support over the past few years. btw. The Helios4 hardware (excluding the hard drives) is still available.
April 28Apr 28 Author As you might see in my signature I decided to retain the Helios4 withdrawing the goodbye message above. @laibsch Actual problem: I didn't succeed in configuring Wake-on-LAN on 26.2.1. What I did was to replace "eth0" by "end1" in /lib/systemd/system/helios4-wol.service Triggering the suspend mode by pm-suspend Decompilation of armada-388-helios4.dtb didn't contain the device tree patch mentioned in https://wiki.kobol.io/helios4/files/wol/helios4-dts-add-wake-on-lan-support.patch Any clue what's missing? @Igor armbian-config does not find any .dtb files in /boot/dtb ("Device Tree Editor") /boot/dtb is a symlink to the directory dtb-6.6.124-current-mvebu. Edited April 29Apr 29 by FredK Adding maintainer for wol-problem
May 5May 5 I am not using WOL on any of my devices, I have no personal experience with the software on the Helios or any other platform.
July 21Jul 21 WOL might work on a newer 6.18 release of the kernel. Btw do I have it right that you're using Armbian without OMV?
July 30Jul 30 Author @Mangix > Btw do I have it right that you're using Armbian without OMV? To use OMV8, Nextcloud AIO and other packages I built a new platform based on Odroid H4+, i.e. no Armbian but Debian. The good old Helios4 is used for testing, experimenting (e.g. Full XFCE), and stuff. > WOL might work on a newer 6.18 release of the kernel. As you see in my signature I switched to rolling packages repository but the kernel is still Linux 6.6.144-current-mvebu.
August 10Aug 10 you need to use armbian-config to get 6.18 kernels. The one fixing WOL might not be released yet.
August 10Aug 10 Author @Mangix "No other kernels available!" Still waiting ... (but for me WOL is not a crucial feature)
August 16Aug 16 Author @Mangix Kernel 6.18.44-edge-mvebu is available now and installed as alternative kernel. I'm planning to test WOL planned during the next week. Edited August 16Aug 16 by FredK
August 17Aug 17 Author @Mangix > I'm planning to test WOL planned during the next week. First tests successful after switching to kernel 6.18.44-edge-mvebu. /lib/systemd/system/helios4-wol.service: [Unit] Description=Enable Wake-on-LAN for Helios4 eth0 After=network-online.target Wants=network-online.target [Service] ExecStart=/bin/sh -c '/bin/ls -1 /sys/class/net/ | /bin/grep -E "^(eth|en[do])[0-9]+" | /bin/xargs -n1 -I{} /sbin/ethtool -s "{}" wol g' Type=oneshot [Install] WantedBy=multi-user.target Suspend system: sudo pm-suspend Wake-on-LAN works.
August 17Aug 17 @FredK I wonder now that WOL works from kernel perspective, do you need this script with ethtool to enable WOL? AFAIK none of my ARM based computers can use WOL as simply the hardware/wiring is not implemented, but for various Intel/AMD boards and using NetworkManager, it is something like: sudo nmcli connection modify "<connection-name>" 802-3-ethernet.wake-on-lan magic and then it works. In the connection-name profile file you will see then a section: [ethernet] wake-on-lan=64 When Debian (and no netplan.io) you can also edit the .nmconnection file and then reload.
August 17Aug 17 Author @eselarm The steps I performed: Starting with 26.2.1 (6.6 kernel) => No WOL Switching to rolling packages repository, but still a 6.6 kernel => No WOL Waiting for the upgrade to a 6.18 kernel (info by @Mangix) 6.18 available as an alternative kernel. Installed => WOL works to be triggered by pm-suspend That's all I did. The new content of /lib/systemd/system/helios4-wol.service seemed to be installed upgrading to the 6.18 kernel, but I prepared a comparable script already in step 1.
August 18Aug 18 11 hours ago, FredK said: That's all I did. The new content of /lib/systemd/system/helios4-wol.service seemed to be installed upgrading to the 6.18 kernel, but I prepared a comparable script already in step 1. OK, so as I understand it now /lib/systemd/system/helios4-wol.service is not yours, but part of Armbian for Helios4. I already wondered why you did not put it in /etc/systemd/system/ Also then this is more a comment towards the Helios4 maintainer or in general the Armbian project/distro. In order to reduce maintenance effort, it might make sense to use just Linux generic methods. Even older 32-bit SBC's can use a lot like it is done in PC's, assuming it is latest Debian/Ubuntu or any other .rpm distro. Also the Helios4 I think is one of the few armhf systems that have implemented HW/wiring more like as it used to be for decades in PC's. I am currently doing a bit of alignment and cleanup my local/personal scripts, mainly with the objective of getting better power and energy handling. I have used rtcwake in the past so the computer can wake-up when no WOL support, but that is actually only 1 Acer computer I bought in 2007 or so, newer support WOL Using rtcwake is fixed time and also must be within a month timeframe AFAIR. WOL is much more preferred. Trixie has: # apt list systemd systemd/stable,now 257.13-1~deb13u1 armhf [installed] and I see in 'man systemctl' that the sleep command is added in version 256. I use(d) /sbin/poweroff or systemctl suspend. The latter via ssh for a laptop connected via either RJ45 or WiFi. The wake up is then just pressing the power button when I want to use the laptop again and are physically in front of it. For my ROCK3A (1 8T HDD connected) I know idle power consumption is quite low and it also does not support suspend nor WOL, so I just use hd-idle to save power. Edited August 18Aug 18 by eselarm
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.