Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Distro-Download - Difference default, next

Featured Replies

Hello everybody,

 

I'm very new to the topic 'armbian' and yet excited. Just played with the BananaPi and downloaded the distro from the first link I got (light/mainline I think). Now I have bought an Odroid XU4 and want to build a Home-Server / NAS with it, wondering which distro to choose. Of course without the heavy-load desktop, but (xenial) next oder default?

 

Thank you.

 

Regards

AXEL

20 minutes ago, AxelRHD said:

Now I have bought an Odroid XU4 and want to build a Home-Server / NAS with it, wondering which distro to choose. Of course without the heavy-load desktop, but (xenial) next oder default?

I - personally - wouldnt use a default 3.10.xx legacy kernel anymore for a NAS/Server.

So I would prefer the next 4.x mainline kernel.

 

But some people say that the debian-kernel debian is more optimized for a OMV (Open Media Vault) NAS - if you want to install this.

 

debian stretch as next kernel is available as a "nightly" version:

https://dl.armbian.com/odroidxu4/nightly/Armbian_5.42.180403_Odroidxu4_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.32.7z

 

or as dev-version:

https://dl.armbian.com/odroidxu4/nightly/Armbian_5.42.180403_Odroidxu4_Debian_stretch_dev_4.9.87.7z

 

for xenial there is:
https://dl.armbian.com/odroidxu4/archive/Armbian_5.37_Odroidxu4_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.9.71.7z

and - I dont know why - there is a debian jessie version with a kernel 4.x:
https://dl.armbian.com/odroidxu4/archive/Armbian_5.41_Odroidxu4_Debian_jessie_next_4.9.86.7z

 

1 hour ago, guidol said:

But some people say that the debian-kernel debian is more optimized for a OMV (Open Media Vault) NAS - if you want to install this

 

OMV is based on Debian. That's the simple reason it won't install on Ubuntu (dependency hell, different package versions). And if someone wants to run OMV I strongly recommend to check first whether there are available images at the download page or otherwise choose an Armbian Stretch next variant and then use armbian-config to install OMV.

 

Even if someone interested in NAS does not want to rely on OMV/Debian looking into the various performance tweaks we did is worth the efforts: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/3953-preview-generate-omv-images-for-sbc-with-armbian/?do=findComment&comment=44097

 

 

And for any NAS usage next kernel is strongly recommended since better hardware support (especially UAS support for USB storage).

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.