Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

[Odroid HC2] OMV, low transfer speed via SMB

Featured Replies

Ok, so after PHP issues I started off with a fresh armbian install and via armbian-config I installed OMV 4.

Install finished without any problems but if I copy stuff via smb the tranfer speed is really bad and I don't know why. :(

On an old install with OMV 3 I used to get nice 100 mb/s. The cpu temp also used to be at like 80 °C during copy, now it looks like this:

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.47388a0d1d706b76554b37165af263bc.JPG

Following extra options are set in smb.conf:

min receivefile size = 16384
write cache size = 524288
getwd cache = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

I also checked smbd app, it's running on a big core.... I get the feeling that not all the avaiable resources of my HC2 are used anymore.

 

Can anyone help me here? The reason number 1 for choosing armbian + OMV were the introduced tweaks that got me NAS-like tranfer speeds... Other os' I tried all have equally bad tranfer speeds.

 

I wish everyone reading this a Happy New Year 2019! :beer:

 

  • Author
18 hours ago, Igor said:


At this point I can only confirm that Armbian + Samba (with NanoPC T4 and Samsung PRO NvME SSD drive http://ix.io/1xgI) with install from Softy works 100Mb/s OOB. One core goes to 50% ... like nothing is happening.

 

:beer:

Nice, that's good :thumbup:

 

By chance now I saw following in ssh welcome screen: Memory usage:  90 % of 1996MB :o

Could this be the problem?

I never checked this, I thought I have plenty ram left. Comparing to older setup all I added to the mix is docker + some small containers based on alpine linux.

 

And wow.. that one mono app needs lots of ram:

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.b9c2fcd1cfc849ed421507d49c01ff27.JPG

 

Edit: Ok, now I disabled mono app and also saw that a python app uses quite a bit of cpu, also disabled that and get around 70 mb/s.

Can't I somehow tell samba to "overrule" all other apps, so I get my 100 mb/s when I need them? I don't copy stuff back and forth all the time, but when I do, full gigabit speed would be nice.

  • Author
On 1/3/2019 at 7:02 PM, Igor said:


:)

A quick note: I get 100MB/s reading, while writing goes sometimes down to 70-80MB/s.

Stupid question: With reading you mean copying from hc2 to local machine, right?

That's what I keep testing.

I could lower ram usage a lot, sth. is messed up with my jackett (mono) container.

But even disabling the container I cannot get more than like 60mb/s max....

I now check with htop, I think it's nice to check processes.

During copy via smb I see that all the big cores are pretty maxed out..at least htop shows that.

Still cpu temp isn't as high as it ways some months back when I used to get my 100mb/s. :(

 

I'm thinking about overclocking the hc2 xD Idk if that may help..what do you think.

Since I used to get these "high temps" like up to 85 °C I had the plan to add better cooling some time ago. I mainly was worried about the hdd temp being too high for my taste, I think like 50 °C.

So now I finally added active cooling and with that I think I could overclock the hc2 :D

 

It's not very professional :D

IMG_20190107_210909.thumb.jpg.aeeb06f260a2ce1e39c9d20b9ae50293.jpg

 

But it works. Took this fan kit, cut off a bit from the metal frame and added feet.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.