October 10, 20224 yr After upgrade to version 5.15.72, fancontrol service fails to start, due to missing /dev/fan-j17 There is some information in dmesg: pwm-fan j17-pwm: error -EBUSY: Could not get PWM
October 10, 20224 yr Workaround: armbian-config -> system -> alternative kernel , pick previous, freeze, wait
October 11, 20224 yr Same effect here. After applying the workaround by @Igor - now I'm back at 22.08.2/5.15.69 - fancontrol is working again. Any patch for 22.08.4 or an upstream solution to be expected?
October 11, 20224 yr 52 minutes ago, FredK said: Any patch for 22.08.4 or an upstream solution to be expected? I apologize for troubles, but that's all I can do. We finance maintaining and dealing with our "customers" almost in 100% so its always difficult to answer such questions. We are talking about few hours of work. If you would cover that, we would not have this conversation in first place. Don't know. Task is open to the person that knows something about and will not need weeks, just hours. It can take days, weeks ... years. To get there. Then an update must be pushed out which will almost certainly break something else. And someone else will ask for our attention, call for responsibility, ... Upstream delivers only general patches. I have removed this update from repository so at least nobody else got into the troubles. Which were, like usually, caused by upstream.
October 11, 20224 yr @Igor Thank you for the explanation. Let's see what will happen at the next kernel update. Maybe @Heisath has an idea/solution preventing the problem in future updates?
October 11, 20224 yr 42 minutes ago, FredK said: Let's see what will happen at the next kernel update. 1. Each kernel upgrade usually fix something, messes something else. Speaking generally. In case of this device, this rarely happen, as its old. If you look more into the details, https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/log/drivers/gpio?h=v5.15.72 someone is fixing something else or just try to do it differently. Which is causing that our patched stopped working. Just a collateral damage. 2. He is the one you need to wait. I would state this already before, but we don't want that anyone put additional pressure, especially if problem is known and this can only helps that we don't do anything more ... you can also hire someone, pay him few hours, and share a patch with community. Why this should be his or my personal expense? Use provided workaround. Alternatives always exists.
October 11, 20224 yr Hey. Yeah I noticed this problem already, see https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4261 Unfortunately I did not get around to fix it last weekend, working on it right now As for future proofing, unless someone has the energy to get the patches mainlined it will break from time to time...
October 12, 20223 yr @Heisath Unfortunately I am not able to build a new kernel applying your patch. Sorry. But I will test the new kernel after release asap. OTOH I can live with the situation that from time to time the fancontrol doesn't work. Now I know what to do (using last working alternative kernel) and reporting the fact here in the forum or within discord. EDIT: I see that the patch has been committed and merged.
October 12, 20223 yr Hi everybody, This is my first post over here, so apologies if this is not in the right format. I discovered the following issue with the fans of my Helios4 Armada388 system yesterday, after upgrading to the latest version of OMV based on Armbian 22.08.4 Bullseye with Linux 5.15.72-mvebu: The fans were spinning very fast and thus making a lot of noise. This was a new issue. I looked at the fancontrol utility and noticed that the config was broken on Armbian 22.08.4 Bullseye with Linux 5.15.72-mvebu From the logfiles: Oct 12 07:23:36 helios4 kernel: [ 14.629414] hwmon hwmon2: temp1_input not attached to any thermal zone Oct 12 07:23:36 helios4 kernel: [ 14.629422] lm75 0-004c: hwmon2: sensor 'lm75' Oct 12 07:23:36 helios4 kernel: [ 15.520811] pwm-fan j17-pwm: error -EBUSY: Could not get PWM Oct 12 07:23:36 helios4 kernel: [ 15.520824] pwm-fan: probe of j17-pwm failed with error -16 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: Settings for /dev/fan-j10/pwm1: Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: Depends on /dev/thermal-cpu/temp1_input Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: Controls Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MINTEMP=40 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MAXTEMP=80 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MINSTART=20 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MINSTOP=29 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MINPWM=0 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MAXPWM=255 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: AVERAGE=1 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 kernel: [ 27.722907] EXT4-fs (dm-0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group, jqfmt=vfsv0,acl. Quota mode: journalled. Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: Settings for /dev/fan-j17/pwm1: Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: Depends on /dev/thermal-cpu/temp1_input Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: Controls Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MINTEMP=40 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MAXTEMP=80 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MINSTART=20 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 systemd[1]: Mounted /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-0fc50881-8a99-4064-a279-301a326ff75b. Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MINSTOP=29 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MINPWM=0 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: MAXPWM=255 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1313]: AVERAGE=1 Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 systemd[1]: Started fan speed regulator. Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: Loading configuration from /etc/fancontrol ... Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 systemd[1]: Starting File System Quota Check... Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: Common settings: Oct 12 07:23:37 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: INTERVAL=10 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: Settings for /dev/fan-j10/pwm1: Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: Depends on /dev/thermal-cpu/temp1_input Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: Controls Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MINTEMP=40 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MAXTEMP=80 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MINSTART=20 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MINSTOP=29 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MINPWM=0 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MAXPWM=255 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: AVERAGE=1 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: Settings for /dev/fan-j17/pwm1: Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: Depends on /dev/thermal-cpu/temp1_input Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: Controls Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MINTEMP=40 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MAXTEMP=80 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MINSTART=20 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MINSTOP=29 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MINPWM=0 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: MAXPWM=255 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: AVERAGE=1 Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: Error: file /dev/fan-j17/pwm1 doesn't exist Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: At least one referenced file is missing. Either some required kernel Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: modules haven't been loaded, or your configuration file is outdated. Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 fancontrol[1720]: In the latter case, you should run pwmconfig again. Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 systemd[1]: fancontrol.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 systemd[1]: fancontrol.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'. Oct 12 07:23:38 helios4 systemd[1]: fancontrol.service: Consumed 1.012s CPU time. On the website https://wiki.kobol.io/helios4/pwm/ I read the following: "Patch requirement Currently Linux gpio-mvebu driver does not allow more than 1 PWM under the same gpio bank. Helios4 uses 2 PWM under same bank therefore this patch needs to be applied to kernel source to remove the restriction." I assumed there was something wrong with the kernel. Downgrading to kernel helios4 5.15.69-mvebu #22.08.2 solved the issue of fancontrol not working. So I assume the required patch, that was always there IMO, has been removed from the latest kernel. Any thoughts on this issue?
October 13, 20223 yr Hi @Heisath thank you for the patch! Will be also an upgrade for the 5.16 kernel? I use the 5.16 version on 5.19 kernel and the patch fails starting from 5.19.14. Same with kernel 6.0
October 19, 20223 yr An update was sent to stable branch. I believe this problem was fixed, but can't make tests.
October 21, 20223 yr Hi! @Igor, I will take some times to test it. for now, the patch in the mvebu-5.16 folder does'nt apply anymore on kernel 5.19, maybe because the modification applied on kernel 5.15 and upper. I don't have free time until around beginning of november. I will test it on vanilla kernels 5.16, 5.19 and 6.0 and give you feed-back.
October 21, 20223 yr 20 minutes ago, alchemist said: I will test it on vanilla kernels 5.16, 5.19 and 6.0 and give you feed-back. Currently we only maintain 5.15.y mvebu as for everything else we don't have time to catch up https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1313
October 22, 20223 yr Author The problem is fixed with linux-image-current-mvebu (22.08.6). Many thanks to Heisath for the fix and Igor for the workaround.
November 2, 20223 yr On 10/21/2022 at 9:52 AM, Igor said: Currently we only maintain 5.15.y mvebu as for everything else we don't have time to catch up https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1313 Hi! Good news is that this patch for 5.15 is also working on 6.0.6 🙂
November 5, 20223 yr Good to know. I am currently bringing mvebu-edge to 6.0.y, but that will take a bit more time.
November 7, 20223 yr Saw the issue/ question is still open. In short, it is fixed. Just updated via apt to 5.15.74-mvebu Many thanks @Heisath /etc/armbian-image-release # PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BOARD=helios4 BOARD_NAME="Helios4" BOARDFAMILY=mvebu BUILD_REPOSITORY_URL=https://github.com/armbian/build BUILD_REPOSITORY_COMMIT=d485420c00d VERSION=22.08.1 LINUXFAMILY=mvebu ARCH=arm IMAGE_TYPE=stable BOARD_TYPE=conf INITRD_ARCH=arm KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=stable IMAGE_UUID=079c7d37-9eb0-45a8-ab71-0e45f27d03b8 /etc/armbian-release PLEA#SE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BOARD=helios4 BOARD_NAME="Helios4" BOARDFAMILY=mvebu BUILD_REPOSITORY_URL=https://github.com/armbian/build BUILD_REPOSITORY_COMMIT=9b04dbfd87d5 VERSION=22.08.8 LINUXFAMILY=mvebu ARCH=arm IMAGE_TYPE=stable BOARD_TYPE=conf INITRD_ARCH=arm KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=Image
June 12, 20233 yr Hi, I upgraded to Linux 6.1.30-mvebu and now have the fan issue. Is there a patch available? The workaround mentioned by Igor does not work because no alternate kernel is available. Thanks
June 18, 20233 yr Same here using image the regular Bookworm CLI image and kernel version 6.1.30-mvebu. I am happy to help with tests/debugging. @Heisath do you perhaps know more already?
June 19, 20233 yr I will investigate this - probably once again either broken fan patch or mismatched device tree / kernel information.
June 19, 20233 yr Much appreciated. I am happy to test. I found this, seems that your patch had to be disabled to fix the build. https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/patch/kernel/archive/mvebu-6.1/92-mvebu-gpio-remove-hardcoded-timer-assignment.patch.disabled
June 27, 20233 yr Many thanks @Heisath...!! I am now trying to figure out how to get an image that includes this patch. Was this PR merged only with master or will it also trickle down to the support branch? Reason behind my question is that I'd like to stick to the latest formal release. Now that I am reading this a bit, I will probably go for a custom build of the most recent release with your patch applied locally... Edited June 27, 20233 yr by SvenHz
August 30, 20242 yr Hi @Heisath I saw that the mvebu kernel patches exist for kernel 6.10 but the Helios4 fan patch has been disabled what is the status of this patch for kernel 6.10 ? How can I help for? Xavier
October 14, 20241 yr Hi, I am trying to update the patch for kernels 6.10 and 6.11 (same code). My first try was not successful (compile error), I will try again, I think I've understood what the patch will do, but there are a lot off differences between kernel versions 6.6 and 6.10, maybe some new lines need to be patched too. Once it compiles and runs fine on my helios 4, I will provide the patch 😉 Kind regards, Xavier.
October 15, 20241 yr I am stuck on pwm->chipdata that is no more accessible in 6.10 I am no linux expert, just have good C knoledge So I will stay on kernel 6.6 for now.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.