Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UART1 does not work Transmission

Featured Replies

Hello. For some reason, UART1 does not work for transmission, only for reception.  The transmitter pin itself is definitely working, I checked by switching this pin to output mode, and then switching it to a high/low logical level, everything works properly, the level on the Pin changes.  How I check the UART itself: I installed picocom, shorted the TX and RX pins, and I’m trying to see what I’m sending.  For UART2 this method works as it should, but UART1 only works for reception.  I realized this when I opened the TX and RX, and was able to receive incoming data sent through the USB-UART converter.

Edited by Armbianer

Seems to work fine for me.

 

root@orangepizero:~# picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyS1
picocom v3.1

port is        : /dev/ttyS1
flowcontrol    : none
baudrate is    : 115200
parity is      : none
databits are   : 8
stopbits are   : 1
escape is      : C-a
local echo is  : no
noinit is      : no
noreset is     : no
hangup is      : no
nolock is      : no
send_cmd is    : sz -vv
receive_cmd is : rz -vv -E
imap is        : 
omap is        : 
emap is        : crcrlf,delbs,
logfile is     : none
initstring     : none
exit_after is  : not set
exit is        : no

Type [C-a] [C-h] to see available commands
Terminal ready
ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

 

As the headers doesn't come preinstalled to the device, I will suggest you to check if they are soldered correctly. 

 

Also make sure you are using pin 8 and pin10 as given in the schematics. Thats 4th and 5th pin when counting from the end closest to the leds on the inner row of 26 pin headers.

  • Author

Very strange things. On my board, UART1 has errors at a speed of more than 1200. The higher the speed, the more errors. That is, when the port is opened at a speed of 1200, everything is fine, at 9600 the characters are unreadable, and at 115200 nothing is displayed at all. Here is an example of displaying the sequence 1234567890 5 times at 2000 baud:

Spoiler

user@orangepizero:~$ sudo picocom -b 2000 /dev/ttyS1
picocom v3.1

port is        : /dev/ttyS1
flowcontrol    : none
baudrate is    : 2000
parity is      : none
databits are   : 8
stopbits are   : 1
escape is      : C-a
local echo is  : no
noinit is      : no
noreset is     : no
hangup is      : no
nolock is      : no
send_cmd is    : sz -vv
receive_cmd is : rz -vv -E
imap is        :
omap is        :
emap is        : crcrlf,delbs,
logfile is     : none
initstring     : none
exit_after is  : not set
exit is        : no

Type [C-a] [C-h] to see available commands
Terminal ready
1▒▒▒▒6▒8▒▒1234▒6789▒▒234567890123456▒▒9▒▒23456789▒

That is, the problem is not that UART1 TX does not send anything, but that it sends data with errors, and nothing is displayed at a speed of 115200.

I have a very slow SD card. Could this be a possible reason for this behavior?

Edited by Armbianer

13 hours ago, Armbianer said:

That is, the problem is not that UART1 TX does not send anything, but that it sends data with errors, and nothing is displayed at a speed of 115200.

 

On my board I don't have the headers soldered. I just held a male to male jumper cable in place and tested the same and it worked fine. Have you soldered the headers? I wondered if there is a short somewhere. Can you share the photos of the board from both front and back?

5 hours ago, Armbianer said:

There looks like some residue around the pins, may be thats the flux. But anyways try cleaning that with some alcohol

 

5 hours ago, Armbianer said:

This photo makes it look like there is something shorting tx and rx pin. Looks like a jumper or something. Not sure if what I am seeing is just lighting or something is really there, If something is there, can you try removing the same. Never mind, I guess you placed it for loopback testing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.