Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

visionfive2 only 4GB ram seen

Featured Replies

Visionfive2 booting spi version starfive 5.11.3 firmware.  U-boot sees the 8GB RAM.  I am using Armbian_community_24.5.0-trunk.433_Visionfive2_jammy_edge_5.15.0_xfce_desktop.img.

I suspect there is something broken with the dtb file.  I am loading this dtb:

load nvme 0:1 ${fdt_addr_r} /boot/dtb/starfive/jh7110-visionfive-v2.dtb

When I use OpenBSD 7.5  the 8GB is seen, but that is a different dtb file and EFI boot process.
Is there a different dtb file to use?

Solved by rdunkle92

  • Author
  • Solution

Here is my solution.
I created a sdcard with u-boot firmware according to the instructions on this webpage:

https://docs.u-boot.org/en/latest/board/starfive/visionfive2.html

I noticed these instructions will use OpenSBI v1.4.  The Starfive firmware is still using OpenSBI v1.2.

Flip the boot selector switch on the board ==> to select boot from sdcard.

Insert the sdcard  created from that u-boot website.

Boot the system.  It will boot without starting any operating system.

U-Boot 2024.07-rc1 (Apr 26 2024 - 10:32:34 +0300)
OpenSBI v1.4

 

Swap the sdcard with the Armbian sdcard.

Enter these commands:

mmc list
 mmc dev 1
 load mmc 1:1 ${fdt_addr_r} /boot/dtb/starfive/jh7110-visionfive-v2.dtb
 load mmc 1:1 ${kernel_addr_r} /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-edge-starfive2
 load mmc 1:1 ${ramdisk_addr_r} /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-edge-starfive2
 setenv bootargs 'root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 rw console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200 earlycon rootwait stmmaceth=chain_mode:1 selinux=0'
 setenv kernel_comp_addr_r 0x5a000000
 setenv kernel_comp_size 0x04000000
 booti $kernel_addr_r $ramdisk_addr_r:$filesize $fdt_addr_r

 

This will boot Armbian and recognize the 8GB RAM.

I also found there is a problem recognizing the UUID of the sdcard or nvme during operating system boot.
For sdcard boot I needed to edit the /etc/fstab -- switch the UUID to the device name

sdcard example:

# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk1p1 / ext4 defaults,noatime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro 0 1
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,nosuid 0 0

 

These instructions also worked with Ubuntu 24.04.  I saw the same memory problem as with Armbian.

 

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.