Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

RK3588 (Radxa Rock 5C) overheating issues

Featured Replies

I have a RK3588 (Radxa Rock 5C) system running Armbian Debian Trixie.  I have the heatsink and the fan installed as well.  I set the fan PWM to 255 as soon as temperature reaches 50 degrees via a systemd service.

 

When using all 8 cores, the system overheats (>110 degrees) and eventually shuts down.  For example, when compiling ffmpeg, it works fine with 'make -j6', but 'make -j8' results in a shutdown before compilation is complete.  Likewise I had thermal issues when using llama.cpp.

 

Shouldn't the OS throttle the CPU when temperature reaches high levels?  I think that is not happening at the moment. Online search referred me to cpufrequtils to set a conservative governor, but it looks like cpufrequtils does not exist for Trixie.

 

Any suggestions on how I should approach this?

  • Author

using cpupower to limit the max cpiu frequency to 1.61Ghz fixed the thermal issues.  Default was 1.8Ghz.  I'll might even reduce the max to 1.42, because USB hard disk mount drops when CPU usage is too high.

Note that I believe Armbian will reset the max CPU frequency on boot.

There is code in /usr/lib/armbian/armbian-hardware-optimization that uses the values defined in /etc/default/cpufrequtils to initialize the governor, min and max frequencies at boot time.  So even though cpufrequtils is no longer an installed set of tools, Armbian is still doing some of the same work based on its old configuration files.

So assuming this works as it used to, all you should need to do is set the max speed you want in /etc/default/cpufrequtils

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.