Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reordering Amlogic kernels

Featured Replies

This was briefly discussed in another topic, but the idea would be to make 4.14 the default kernel for Le Potato and K2, and change next to the newest stable kernel.  The reason is, the 4.14 is the vendor kernel for Le Potato, K2 is only supported via it's similarity to C2 and Le Potato, and we currently don't have a "mainline" for Amlogic as everything moves forward.

 

Consequences: 

  • Default build it yourself with the 3.14 will no longer be possible.  We do not provide images of this build anyway. 
  • Next image users will get updated to the newest stable rather than staying on 4.14    This is what needs the discussion.

 

I put a quick post on the Facebook group for Libre Computer I belong to, so far I've gotten half the community having seen the post and nothing but positive feedback on the change proposal.  Looking to get any feedback available here.

 

March 30, 2018 Status:

 

  • Building "Default" image for either Le Potato or K2 will give you 4.14.y with Current BayLibre patches (K2 had other issues due to a board rename some time ago, broke u-boot process and boot script generation)
  • Next still at 4.14.y waiting for 4.16
  • Author
3 minutes ago, Tido said:

I understand only "Bahnhof"

Ahhhhh, the mix of English into that about killed me, hahaha  "Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof".  Idioms are only taught to the students who have the good teachers that also teach how to swear properly.  ;) 

 

I think this falls into the same category as "Stop beating around the bush", the German version says something about cats...:beer:

 

For the change, we don't currently offer more than 1 kernel option, and that option is in the "next" category.  So I want to put 4.14 into the unused "default" kernel category (such as Rockchip 4.4), and make all new "Next" category images the current stable kernel (upcoming 4.16)

12 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

"Stop beating around the bush"

Google nicely does: "Hör auf, um den heissen Brei zu reden" = get to the point.

 

12 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

make all new "Next" category images the current stable kernel

this bites me in the ass

I am familiar here at armbian with legacy and mainline, whereas next is development=beta kernel. Legacy & Mainline can be WIP, stable, CSC right ?

a fine example  https://www.armbian.com/banana-pi-plus/

  

By the way, why not using next instead of beta OR the opposite in armbian-config.

Dev's and User should use the same schema (names) or am I confused ?

  • Author

Well, I am using our conventions for the sake of this discussion.  "Default" is vendor legacy kernel.  "Next" is mainline but stable, not rc.  Dev is rc mainline/holding pen before rolling over into next.  

 

So were this already in place, "default" would be 4.14, "next" would be 4.15, an dev would be 4.16 rc-6 (or whatever)

 

Has Google translate been improved past the level of a house pet's linguistic capability?  I'll have to give that a try.  ;-)

Is some of this legacy kernels used for the TV-boxes? To be honest I don't follow frequently the stuff in this subforum.. From a maintenance point of view, would it reduce your workload? Or would it give you more opportunities for testing things? 

 

54 minutes ago, TonyMac32 said:

Has Google translate been improved past the level of a house pet's linguistic capability?  I'll have to give that a try.  ;-)

Youtube even understands part of 'walliserdütsch' which is quite often hard for us 'üsserschwiizer' (which is per definition every swiss german outside from the wallis).  It needs a lot of this stuff to understand them.. :D 

71d0Bc9Q-AL._SL1500_.jpg

10 hours ago, TonyMac32 said:

Well, I am using our conventions for the sake of this discussion.  "Default" is vendor legacy kernel.  "Next" is mainline but stable, not rc.  Dev is rc mainline/holding pen before rolling over into next.  

 

So were this already in place, "default" would be 4.14, "next" would be 4.15, an dev would be 4.16 rc-6 (or whatever)

 

Yes this should be the scheme, default should be the last long-term kernel, next should be the last stable, and dev should be the current -rc kernel.

  • Author

Thank you Neil, I have them in the development branch, testing out the basic stuff.

 

I also updated the 4.14 patchset to reflect your latest changes, tested out the new video modes on a couple monitors, no problems.  @Tido will be pleased, as long as his monitors support

 

- 640x480@60Hz
- 800x600@60Hz
- 1024x768@60Hz
- 1152x864@75Hz
- 1280x1024@60Hz
- 1600x1200@60Hz
- 1920x1080@60Hz

 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.