December 7, 20223 yr Orange Pi 5 is a new board using RK3588S. I think it would be really nice to support it http://www.orangepi.org/html/hardWare/computerAndMicrocontrollers/details/Orange-Pi-5.html
December 13, 20223 yr Hello, I've bought one, still waiting for its arrival. I'm not a big piece of dev, but I can help with tests and stuff
December 13, 20223 yr 2 hours ago, pazzoide said: but I can help with tests We need something else ... In area of testings, we need (yours? and few more) part and full time engagement as a test engineer https://forum.armbian.com/staffapplications/ ... if you can pay for your time, we can't. So far all people that applied, sooner or later lost their interest in working for you. Testings is anyway automated and when a bug is found, there is nothing we can do as you don't want to compensate for the time we lost by working to fix problems you and our competitors have with those computers. Even recording a bug goes on our private bill. This is how you support us and you think a bug report for software support, which you are paying nothing for, will represent an added value?
December 20, 20223 yr I see. I'm not asking for anything, just trying to help. Unfortunately, I'm not skilled enough to help you with the code and, since testing is not needed, I will support the project donating, if this suites more your needs.
December 22, 20223 yr hi, I moved from: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4582 type-c can be found by lsusb, but no power is supplied I tried waking up manually but it didn't work
December 23, 20223 yr I'm not able to boot any of the images in https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4582 from NVME, but I'm able to boot the official Ubuntu image from the NVME just fine...
December 23, 20223 yr Author https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/install/spi#Step1:_Install_Tools.26Drivers it should work if you follow here
December 23, 20223 yr I can´t get it working also with Armbian. I think i do something wrong. I followed to he official Ubuntu manual and it works. Also read the link of the Rock Pi 5 but it´s not very clear for me. I downloaded the Armbian image, zero.img and rkspi_loader.img. I booted also from the micro sd armbian and that works fine. On the Orange pi i did the following: orangepi5:Downloads:# sudo dd if=zero.img of=/dev/mtdblock0 32768+0 records in 32768+0 records out 16777216 bytes (17 MB, 16 MiB) copied, 253.123 s, 66.3 kB/s orangepi5:Downloads:# sudo dd if=rkspi_loader.img of=/dev/mtdblock0 32768+0 records in 32768+0 records out 16777216 bytes (17 MB, 16 MiB) copied, 254.654 s, 65.9 kB/s orangepi5:Downloads:# sudo dd bs=1M if=Armbian_20221220a-rpardini_Orangepi5_kinetic_legacy_5.10.110.img of=/dev/nvme0n1 status=progress 2053111808 bytes (2.1 GB, 1.9 GiB) copied, 3 s, 683 MB/s 2020+0 records in 2020+0 records out 2118123520 bytes (2.1 GB, 2.0 GiB) copied, 6.42917 s, 329 MB/s orangepi5:Downloads:# sudo poweroff After powering up it just don´t start. I see also methods by using a usb port. And the steps for windows, linux and so on the call also step 3 and step 4. So totally not clear...? Edited December 23, 20223 yr by haajee
December 23, 20223 yr Quote https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock5/install/spi#Step1:_Install_Tools.26Drivers it should work if you follow here I flashed rkspi_loader.img using rkdeveloptool on a Mac with rk3588_spl_loader_v1.08.111.bin and now the Orange Pi won't boot anything from the NVME (including the official Ubuntu image, which was previously working). Were these the same steps you followed, and were you able to boot from NVME after doing this? I feel like I must be missing something. Update: eventually got this working after booting from the SD card and running `armbian-install` to install the bootloader on SPI flash -- only then could the NVME boot. Edited December 24, 20223 yr by bla works
December 24, 20223 yr Author Oh it seems rkspi in radxa's doc is incompatible with opi5. I'll install armbian on nvme ssd after getting offical image for opi5
December 24, 20223 yr Got it also working now! Just so simple with armbian-install working What i did maybe wrong: 1. Not as root user but just with SU 2. Used nand-sata-install instead of Armbian install Things i noticed at first use: 1. At first setup it does not show the iP adress. If you don´t have a keyboard/mouse connected, you should search in your modem for the the ip. 2. CPU speed settings / governor does not working in armbian-config. But this problem is also in the official Orangepi ubuntu image. 3. GPIO could not be configured in armbian-config 4. USB-C port looks like not working. Blue USB-A top port works on 5000Mb speed. Bottom port on USB 2.0 480Mb speed. But think that´s also a USB 2.0 port Edited December 24, 20223 yr by haajee
December 25, 20223 yr 1. Enable `2005-OrangePi5-dubious-tcpm-stuff-extracted-from-Xunlong-.patch` and recompile the kernel, type-c should work fine. 2. Yes, Bottom port is 2.0.
December 25, 20223 yr Ah ok. I read on github that the it´s just waiting for a new test build but need to approved or something?
December 25, 20223 yr Author I can send new commit to fix these USB issues but i don't have a permission to send commit to @rpardini's repo. Maybe he can add a service into the opi5 bsp and activate the tcpm patch. Then there's no reason not to approve the PR i think. Edited December 25, 20223 yr by Efe Çetin
December 25, 20223 yr Just because of weekends, we have to be a little patient, full-time employees also have weekends. This is the kernel I'm using now, just need to overwrite the installation: https://github.com/ChisBread/linux-orangepi/releases/tag/v1.06.001 But be careful not to install my dtb, which is overclocked. Unless you know what you're doing. btw @Efe Çetin . Maybe I can also submit a patch to fix mouse cursor flickering under x11? Edited December 25, 20223 yr by ChisBread
December 25, 20223 yr Author Yeah it'd be really cool to fix flickering. Btw why did you increase voltage? Are there any big profit of overclocking RK3588S?
December 25, 20223 yr You can take a look at this post, it's a bit long https://forum.radxa.com/t/rock-5b-debug-party-invitation/10483 Pressurizing 50mv can make my RK3588S reach 2.4GHz, before this it was 2.28GHz Use this tool to test https://github.com/wtarreau/mhz Increasing voltage gives ~20% gain on glmark2
December 25, 20223 yr This is my current glmark2 score, just need panfork+wayland+overclocking But it seems to be able to reach 3900 on RK3588, I'm still researching why, but it's good enough...
December 25, 20223 yr the performance improvement of overclocking is not as good as modifying dmc governor(or upthreshold) <10% vs 20%+
December 26, 20223 yr Now the score of glmark2 is 5000 with PAN_MESA_DEBUG=gofaster and kernel https://github.com/ChisBread/linux-orangepi/releases/tag/v1.06.002
December 26, 20223 yr Author I think you can add another release for kernel with panfork patches and without OC. Maybe they can also be included into the Armbian RK3588 patches if they are stable
December 26, 20223 yr Thought I'd give your kernel and envar on my Rock5 since it's close to Opi5 board. I got a boost from 995 on x to 1379 (glmark2-es2) on wayland. Nice and now Kde Plasma session works! It's no where near what Chisbread is getting. I haven't messed with this install other than add your kernel and export the debug variable. Saving OC and governors for last. [loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=false:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 1518 FrameTime: 0.659 ms [loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=true:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 1525 FrameTime: 0.656 ms ======================================================= glmark2 Score: 1379 Kernel: 5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 arch: aarch64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.26.4 Distro: Ubuntu 22.10 (Kinetic Kudu) Machine: Type: ARM System: Radxa ROCK 5B Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 1.22.1.3 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.3 OpenGL: renderer: Mali-G610 (Panfrost) v: 3.0 Mesa 23.0.0-devel Thanks for the boost/fix. Edited December 26, 20223 yr by archetech
December 26, 20223 yr << I think you can add another release for kernel with panfork patches and without OC. OC is only related to linux-dtb-* << Maybe they can also be included into the Armbian RK3588 patches if they are stable I don't think it's possible until icecream95 and upstream settle << Saving OC and governors for last. governors are the most important one, and there are no side effects, I recommend reading https://github.com/ThomasKaiser/Knowledge/blob/master/articles/Quick_Preview_of_ROCK_5B.md#important-insights-and-suggested-optimisations Edited December 26, 20223 yr by ChisBread
December 26, 20223 yr BTW, I run glmark2 in performance mode Edited December 26, 20223 yr by ChisBread
December 27, 20223 yr Author Hi @haajee @bla. Which image did you boot from nvme ssd? I can boot opi images from nvme but i'm not able to boot armbian image from ssd. Maybe you know how to fix it
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.