January 4, 20233 yr My experience so far: 1. Booting up (Jammy/Bullseye) from SD, HDMI out to 1440p display cuts off text at the bottom. It affects installation and later use. I need to press ENTER several times to all questions until text moves up in the buffer and becomes visible, and then blindly type the answer to proceed to the next step, then several ENTERs to scroll again, and so on. Looking at fbset and stty output: me@opi:~$ fbset -i mode "2560x1440" geometry 2560 1440 2560 1440 32 timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 accel true rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0 endmode Frame buffer device information: Name : rockchipdrmfb Address : 0 Size : 14745600 Type : PACKED PIXELS Visual : TRUECOLOR XPanStep : 1 YPanStep : 1 YWrapStep : 0 LineLength : 10240 Accelerator : No me@opi:~$ stty size 28 100 After installation, I can set proper console columns and rows corresponding to the font size: me@opi:~$ stty rows 67 cols 240 And to make it persist on boot: /etc/default/console-setup SCREEN_HEIGHT="67" SCREEN_WIDTH="240" 2. X server resolution only goes up to 1920x1080 on the same 2560x1440 display. 3. After switching monitor inputs and going back to OPi5, X server resets the resolution from 1920x1080 to 720x576. 4. In 1920x1080 everything looks abnormally scaled and huge. Decreasing DPI below the "default" 96 in Xfce helps a little but it still doesn't look right. 5. Finally, there are file conflicts among packages: firmware-misc-nonfree vs armbian-firmware and armbian-firmware-full. This was reported back in 2019 but not addressed. https://github.com/armbian/build/issues/1359
January 5, 20233 yr Can you install kernel and DTBs from https://disk.yandex.com.tr/d/92-u6d0M8BGQVA and https://disk.yandex.com.tr/d/bySmhrkYZggR7w Resolution problems should be fixed. Edited January 5, 20233 yr by Efe Çetin
January 5, 20233 yr @Efe Çetin Thanks! This works for me with 2K display! Is this included in latest image? Also bootfs is not auto-mount as /boot, it is a bit inconvenient to update files in bootfs.
January 5, 20233 yr Found one issue, mouse cursor sometimes disappeared, just not shown, still move around OK. Not always reproducible. Edited January 5, 20233 yr by zjd
January 5, 20233 yr @wizetek > 4. In 1920x1080 everything looks abnormally scaled and huge. Decreasing DPI below the "default" 96 in Xfce helps a little but it still doesn't look right. In appearance setting, default window scaling is 2, change to 1 can get normal look. Not sure why it is 2 by default.
January 5, 20233 yr You probably have to wait for @Efe Çetin 's PR merged to have ready-to-use image. Or you can download these 2 debs to OPi5, run "dpkg -i <deb name>" to install and copy /boot/* to /dev/nvme0n1p1.
January 6, 20233 yr @Efe ÇetinI fixed the problem in the same way url and contacted OrangePi officials, who tested that the 8K monitor also worked, and I tested myself that the 1440x900 resolution and 2880x864 resolution monitors worked fine. Hopefully this will provide you with some test data to help you resolve these issues. Link: Fix dclk parent clock for hdmi vop0(https://github.com/WillzenZou/armbian_fork_build/commit/a58816d68ca73db36c9ca8ffc2444c872a1dd295) Edited January 6, 20233 yr by Willzen
January 11, 20233 yr I still found that cursor disappears occasionally, enabling 3d or not, mostly when coming back after long idle. I am using 23.02.0-trunk.0152. I suspect that it is related to enabling HW cursor in this patch https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/rockchip-rk3588-legacy/2009-OrangePi5-HDMI-Improvements.patch, that is, HW cursor might have issue. --- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3588s-orangepi.dtsi +++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/rk3588s-orangepi.dtsi @@ -578,19 +578,29 @@ &vepu { &vp0 { rockchip,plane-mask = <(1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER0 | 1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART0)>; rockchip,primary-plane = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART0>; + cursor-win-id = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER0>; }; &vp1 { rockchip,plane-mask = <(1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER1 | 1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART1)>; rockchip,primary-plane = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART1>; + cursor-win-id = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER1>; }; &vp2 { rockchip,plane-mask = <(1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER2 | 1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART2)>; rockchip,primary-plane = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART2>; + cursor-win-id = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER2>; }; &vp3 { rockchip,plane-mask = <(1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER3 | 1 << ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART3)>; rockchip,primary-plane = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_ESMART3>; + cursor-win-id = <ROCKCHIP_VOP2_CLUSTER3>; +}; I am trying to revert this change but not family with armbian building. Where can I pull a kernel tree to apply patches and build a dtb? I am familiar with kernel but am wondering if there is a more convenient way for armbian.
January 11, 20233 yr 13 minutes ago, zjd said: more convenient way for armbian https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#generate-new-patch-template
January 12, 20233 yr Thanks! I reverted this change and cursor looks OK so far, at least usable. But I think there is cursor flickering issue with sw cursor. It would be better to fix HW cursor though.
January 12, 20233 yr Hi, Is display port alt mode suposed to work at the moment or is it still WIP? I am trying to use OPI5 with a Samsung G9 which has a 5120x1440p resolution using a usb-c to displayport, but i am unable to have a display out. Is this supposed to work, or is it still not implemented? Thank you for all your hard work @Efe Çetin
January 13, 20233 yr Just as a quick update, i tried trunk 0154 and 0158, and now, the monitor seems to turn on for brief moments but then it turns off again. Edited January 13, 20233 yr by Blackenz
January 14, 20233 yr @Blackenz can you try to compile kernel by enabling the https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/rockchip-rk3588-legacy/2006-OrangePi5-dubious-cdn-dp-core-stuff-extracted-from-X.patch.disabled patch
January 14, 20233 yr @zjd what's your DE? And are you using Xorg or Wayland? I'm not able to reproduce it
January 16, 20233 yr Hi @Efe Çetin, so i just need to enable "CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_CDN_DP=y" in linux-rockchip-rk3588-legacy.config in order to include the patch? Thanks
January 16, 20233 yr @Blackenz it's already enabled. just rename https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/patch/kernel/rockchip-rk3588-legacy/2006-OrangePi5-dubious-cdn-dp-core-stuff-extracted-from-X.patch.disabled to 2006-OrangePi5-dubious-cdn-dp-core-stuff-extracted-from-X.patch and try it
January 16, 20233 yr @Efe Çetin just tried my new build with the 2006-OrangePi5-dubious-cdn-dp-core-stuff-extracted-from-X.patch and the results are the same as trunk 0154 and 0158. No luck... The monitor turns on for brief moments without any output and after, maybe 30 seconds, turns off again. Any other sugestions? Once again, thank you for your hard work.
January 16, 20233 yr @Efe ÇetinI am using xorg, mostly with KDE, sometimes xfce. Cursor disappear issue is not always reproduced, but more likely after idle for some time, monitor was turned off, when it was turned on by key stroke or mouse movement, cursor no longer appeared, starting from lock screen. I can see cursor is still there as when it moved to max/min button of a window, the button was highlighted so it is just a display issue. Thanks!
January 17, 20233 yr @Blackenzdon't have any other idea. I can't check it due to i don't have any typec to display port converter. I'll create a Jira task after going to the home.
January 17, 20233 yr I have a similar cursor disappearance problem (the mouse still works, I just can't see the cursor icon). This is reproducible by turning the HDMI display off and on again. I also have other severe issues related to power saving, involving a total freeze, but I'm not yet clear as to how to categorize, or how to reproduce this issue. My build image: Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0167_Orangepi5_jammy_legacy_5.10.110_xfce_desktop.img.xz I also, successfully, modified this build to boot off nvme (following the post of Marco Schirrmeister Jan 5) and enabled Ubunutu Gnome/Wayland desktop, gpu acceleration (following the post of Royk Jan 5). Both posts in the "Orange Pi 5 Support" thread. I also had a problem with my Bluetooth USB adapter, used for headphones, it worked at first but after a few hours (days?), it stopped working. It was fixed by following the instructions of: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1339825/ubuntu-21-04-bluetooth-5-0-dongle-does-not-work-and-says-theres-no-firmware Note: for the Bluetooth dongle fix, I needed to create symlinks: rtl8761bu_fw.bin -> rtl8761b_fw.bin and rtl8761bu_config.bin -> rtl8761b_config.bin , following the StackExchange comment about renaming for Armbian. I also need to reboot before it worked.
January 18, 20233 yr @Efe Çetin, i am certainly not a kernel developer nor i have the skills to help in this kind of development, but can i help anyother way? Maybe gather some logs? Thank You
January 19, 20233 yr Author Tested Armbian_23.02.0-trunk.0179_Orangepi5_jammy_legacy_5.10.110_xfce_desktop.img (+) Console rows/columns calculation on 1440p display is confirmed fixed. X server resolution is now capable of going to native 2560x1440 - fixed. (-) Xfce: Appearance > Settings > Window Scaling defaults to 2x making everything look huge. Mouse cursor disappears intermittently while mouse continues to function.
January 26, 20233 yr Author The disappearing mouse cursor problem seems to be triggered after idle time, or after screensaver/DPMS has kicked in, or after monitor input source switch. Looks like this X config may work around it until a better solution is provided: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-swcursor.conf Section "Device" Identifier "GPU" #Driver "modesetting" #Driver "rockchip" Option "SWCursor" "True" EndSection I tested with the Driver portion commented out but it may be necessary to specify one.
January 26, 20233 yr @wizetek Do u see cursor flickering with this? Even though I believe this is valid workaround.
January 26, 20233 yr Author Yes, software cursor causes flickering when moving around, unfortunately. But it hasn't disappeared on me yet. It may be worth exploring to add some other X optimizations, like these ones: https://github.com/JeffyCN/meta-rockchip/blob/master/recipes-graphics/xorg-xserver/files/20-modesetting.conf Edited January 27, 20233 yr by wizetek
February 14, 20233 yr Hi! Is it possible to use a 1024x600 screen resolution ? I use a waveshare 7inch HDMI display. When I try to connect the screen, I don't see the picture.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.