Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gaming experience with Orange Pi 5 (RK3588) on Armbian

Featured Replies

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

 + PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

 + box64 3.9 (https://ryanfortner.github.io/box64-debs/)

 + proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64 (https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases/download/proton-10.0-3/wine-proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64.tar.xz)

+ DXVK-stripped v1.5.5

~60fps@720p

 

Left 4 Dead 2

L4D2-PanVk.thumb.jpg.c6cf6108424dd86bd03a98d32a66f7b1.jpg 

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

 + PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

 + box64 3.9 (https://ryanfortner.github.io/box64-debs/)

 + proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64 (https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases/download/proton-10.0-3/wine-proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64.tar.xz)

+ DXVK-stripped v1.5.5

>=60fps@720p

 

Super Robot Wars VSRWV-PanVk(3).thumb.jpg.b02188d87462171fa3a30e39b97397c7.jpgSRWV-PanVk(2).thumb.jpg.95b03112fd1f5cbc5cfda8dfc6435fee.jpgSRWV-PanVk.thumb.jpg.2376a5fdac1c357eb811ea4a7b0bf8cc.jpg

52 minutes ago, 晓飞丁 said:

Have you guys ever try FEX-emu instead of box64? I heard FEX is 10%~20% faster than box64

I tried FEX-emu, but on our devices it's slower. It is optimised for snapdragon while box64 is more optimised for the lower-end SBC ARM-SOC.
Here a video I once made about it. Things have changed a lot, fex-emu has matured at lot in this time. I didn't know it was build for steam back then so didn't test that. Also have no steam games that would run.

 

  • Author
2 hours ago, 晓飞丁 said:

Have you guys ever try FEX-emu instead of box64? I heard FEX is 10%~20% faster than box64

 

I am using hangover-10.18, which is Fex-Emu 2510.

https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover/releases/tag/hangover-10.18

 

I didn't benchmark. But I think rn, the main bottleneck is the GPU (PanVk driver is now only ~60% performance of the libMali driver).

  • Author
1 hour ago, NicoD said:

Also have no steam games that would run.

 

Steam games are working now, I tested some games a week ago. But the steam client alone took ~5gb. So, I would not recomend unless you have a 16gb board.

3 hours ago, KhanhDTP said:

I didn't benchmark. But I think rn, the main bottleneck is the GPU (PanVk driver is now only ~60% performance of the libMali driver).

Sorry I am an amateur on rk3588. If libMali have better performance. But why most of you are using PanVk? 

 

2 hours ago, KhanhDTP said:

Steam games are working now, I tested some games a week ago. But the steam client alone took ~5gb. So, I would not recomend unless you have a 16gb board.

Without steam it is meanlingless, while we could only play games with no drm?

 

2 hours ago, KhanhDTP said:

Steam games are working now, I tested some games a week ago. But the steam client alone took ~5gb. So, I would not recomend unless you have a 16gb board.

I found a way to shrink the memory occupation by not starting the steamclientwebhelp. See the tips here :https://www.howtogeek.com/694531/how-to-reduce-steams-ram-usage-from-400-mb-to-60-mb/

  • Author
1 hour ago, 晓飞丁 said:

If libMali have better performance. But why most of you are using PanVk? 

 

Because the compatibility, I can't get the libMali driver to work with 32bit games (DXVK specifically). Also, although 64bit games work with the libMali, most of the games I have tested are black screen, or missing textures.

 

1 hour ago, 晓飞丁 said:

I found a way to shrink the memory occupation by not starting the steamclientwebhelp. See the tips here :https://www.howtogeek.com/694531/how-to-reduce-steams-ram-usage-from-400-mb-to-60-mb/

 

Thanks for the sharing, I will try it later.

2 hours ago, KhanhDTP said:

Still the same 

It's wierd that in native Windows environment. steamwebhelper will only cost about 500MB memroy

20 hours ago, 晓飞丁 said:

If libMali have better performance. But why most of you are using PanVk? 

I failed to get a working OpenGL with libmali. A more performant GLES may give a more performant desktop, but won't make most games working.

Since the community have been doing excellent work bringing rk3588 to mainline, it makes no sense to stick to a 5.x vendor kernel for a closed-source library with flaws, at least in my use case.

 

5 hours ago, 晓飞丁 said:

It's wierd that in native Windows environment. steamwebhelper will only cost about 500MB memroy

The FEX's developer has explained the reason why memory usage is high under arm64, and I think box64 may also have similar problems.

Edited by heyrict

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

 + PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

 + box64 3.9 (https://ryanfortner.github.io/box64-debs/)

 + proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64 (https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases/download/proton-10.0-3/wine-proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64.tar.xz)

+ DXVK-stripped v2.6.2

>=60fps@1080p

 

Cuphead

 

Cuphead-PanVk@1080p.thumb.jpg.0e6041348b5306363ecbef77c39ef38b.jpg

 

Cuphead-PanVk@1080p(2).thumb.jpg.a4e9c0aa6a0bd21c31f4525d3cd1b3e4.jpg

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

 + PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

 + box64 3.9 (https://ryanfortner.github.io/box64-debs/)

 + proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64 (https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases/download/proton-10.0-3/wine-proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64.tar.xz)

+ DXVK-stripped v2.6.2

>=60fps@1080p

 

Blasphemous

 

Blasphemous-PanVk@1080p.thumb.png.c4c3c639777df15a00c7f93d66f18272.png

 

Blasphemous-PanVk@1080p(2).thumb.png.7a121dd2cafca198a9100e3852e9b2aa.png

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

 + PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

 + box64 3.9 (https://ryanfortner.github.io/box64-debs/)

 + proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64 (https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases/download/proton-10.0-3/wine-proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64.tar.xz)

+ DXVK-stripped v2.6.2

>=60fps@1080p

 

Blasphemous 2

 

Blasphemous2-PanVk@1080p.thumb.png.766aeda8c886035a8e8e071621554181.png

 

Blasphemous2-PanVk@1080p(2).thumb.png.120b8e2155d7d1920dd674aea71dc119.png

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

 + PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

 + box64 3.9 (https://ryanfortner.github.io/box64-debs/)

 + proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64 (https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases/download/proton-10.0-3/wine-proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64.tar.xz)

+ DXVK-stripped v2.6.2

>=60fps@1080p

 

Shovel Knight Dig

 

Shovel-Knight-Dig--PanVk@1080p.thumb.png.88dfb3f5c251227d3f2a2e28f88a8e1c.png

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

 + PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

 + box64 3.9 (https://ryanfortner.github.io/box64-debs/)

 + proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64 (https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases/download/proton-10.0-3/wine-proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64.tar.xz)

+ DXVK-stripped v1.7.1

~60fps@1080p

 

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition

 

Ori-PanVk@720p.thumb.jpg.01b1e72d8401f864e69cec08fb9566e3.jpg

 

Ori-PanVk@720p(2).thumb.jpg.ba784045e30fe9dbbbca9f60df548d1c.jpg

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

+ PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

+ FEX-Emu 2510

+ hangover-10.18 (https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover/releases/tag/hangover-10.18)

+ Zink

30~60fps@720p

 

Quote

I tried all the DXVK(-stripped) possible for both dx9, dx10. Either crashes or black screen, or missing textures; only Zink works.
I also tried box64, but it's not working (crashed)

 

Crysis x64 (dx10)

 

CrysisDX10-PanVk@720p.thumb.jpg.3e15b3ed5ca479c5630a0fc36cce23fc.jpg

 

CrysisDX10-PanVk@720p(1).thumb.jpg.53431d492eb4d5fe31900b6865565b53.jpg

 

CrysisDX10-PanVk@720p(2).thumb.jpg.a563982795e8c6cedd0d0891d5170d90.jpg

Edited by KhanhDTP

  • Author
1 hour ago, 晓飞丁 said:

Are you using X11 or wayland? I am not able to run wayland  while under X11 it is very slow

 

I am using X11 (XFCE), make sure you installed the driver.

36 minutes ago, KhanhDTP said:

I am using X11 (XFCE), make sure you installed the drive

How do you use proton/wine. I download the archieve file and after extraction, there are bin & lib files,  how can I use them ? set some environment variables?

3 hours ago, 晓飞丁 said:

Are you using X11 or wayland? I am not able to run wayland  while under X11 it is very slow

I've tested niri, hyprland, sway and i3, all of them should work if properly configured.

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

 + PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

 + box64 3.9 (https://ryanfortner.github.io/box64-debs/)

 + proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64 (https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds/releases/download/proton-10.0-3/wine-proton-10.0-3-amd64-wow64.tar.xz)

+ DXVK-stripped v1.6.1

~60fps@720p

 

Left 4 Dead

 

Left4Dead-PanVk@720p.thumb.jpg.539241a563cf19913da020fb17e0f45c.jpg

 

Left4Dead-PanVk@720p(2).thumb.jpg.d30f684461656b4279d463a7c04e337a.jpg

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

+ PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

+ box64 3.9 (https://ryanfortner.github.io/box64-debs/)

+ GE-Proton (https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom)

+ Zink (openGL)

>=60fps@1080p

 

Tomb Raider Remastered I - II - III

 

Tomb-Raider-I-Remaster.thumb.jpg.e70cf16366c314162439a55ee1e33360.jpg

 

Tomb-Raider-I-Remaster(2).thumb.jpg.387b31ba58a8eee18ee99ab7e39372e6.jpg

 

Tomb-Raider-II-Remaster.thumb.jpg.d1e47463d9e1ab9bfbd377d0a3a0e065.jpg

 

Tomb-Raider-II-Remaster(2).thumb.jpg.acb825618485524fbc4961c62d1feee5.jpg

 

Tomb-Raider-III-Remaster.thumb.jpg.4db57b0f08f2a19da8893377a07d91e8.jpg

 

Tomb-Raider-III-Remaster(2).thumb.jpg.0e025e030b6618789c256437d45be08a.jpg

Edited by KhanhDTP

  • Author

Armbian 25.8.2 Noble XFCE (BSD Kernel: 6.1.115)

+ PanVk - mesa 26.0 (https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco)

+ box64 3.9 (https://ryanfortner.github.io/box64-debs/)

+ GE-Proton (https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom)

+ Zink (openGL)

>=60fps@1080p

 

Tomb Raider Remastered IV - V - VI

 

Screenshot_2025-12-14_09-28-39.jpg

 

Screenshot_2025-12-14_09-31-33.jpg

 

Screenshot_2025-12-14_09-29-03.jpg

 

Screenshot_2025-12-14_09-31-33.jpg

 

Screenshot_2025-12-14_09-29-33.jpg

 

Screenshot_2025-12-14_09-34-22.jpg

Edited by KhanhDTP

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.