Banana Pi M5
37 topics in this forum
-
Hello, I am trying to connect a ds3231 module to get time during boot (dns does'nt like 1970) and without internet connexion. I load a recent build UBUNTU 26.2.1 on the M5 but unfortunatly after 2 days of research with chatgpt , I ask to knowledge experience people if they know if it's possible and which kind of dts can make this module up and running. I did'nt identify a dtbo on the distribution , a made a lot of investigation , pin 3 and 5 og the 40pins connector is connect to the cpu with pullup resistor , i try a lot dts conf and nothing gave result. If some one did this kind of connexion thanks in advance. Gérard
-
Reputation Points
- 7 replies
- 2.6k views
- 1 follower
-
-
This is NOT a support request, more of a brag. Needing a backup system, I was enamored of the low power requirements to run the bpi-m5. But they have no sata ports to drive bigger SSD's. But I bought a 5 stack of 4Tb TMSC built SSD drives at $200/copy, figuring on using a USB3.2 hub and startech's usb3.2 to sata adaptors, a big drive cage and a 50 watt 5 volt psu. More than 3 drives plugged in was too much current for the hub, itgot hot & shut down, so I bought another hub & glued it to the otherside of the drive cage. Problem solved. Printed the shelves to hold the drives and a BPI-m5. I configured the 5 SSD's into a software raid6 of 11TB. A friend that i…
-
Reputation Points
- 0 replies
- 1.6k views
- 1 follower
-
-
bringing up a BIG 3d printer from square one on a bpi--m5 with a fairly new image. The pager requires 10 or more mouse clicks, starting with the _ . . . . . at the upper left corner of what I think is the default xfce4 screen. All the eye candy and mouse clicks to actually switch workspaces are very distracting when one is trying to configure klipper. Can all this be reduced to a single click on the dot representing that workspace in the micro-pager? The eye candy is impressive to visiting frogs, until its a PITA when actually doing work. We buy these things in 6 pack qty's to do work, and give you a small monthly support, but impressing the frog…
-
Reputation Points
- 0 replies
- 1.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Hello, i have a screen thats bigger than what I could see (frame). on a raspberry, i change the config with overlay adjustment. But i dont know how to do this for the banana pi.. Someone Here could redirect me the rijgt pad where to fix it?
-
Reputation Points
- 0 replies
- 1.2k views
-
-
Hi, everybody, I have 2 M5 one running Debian Server and one running ubuntu Desktop. Both images downloaded from BPI site and Installed on EMMC. I want to replace these OS with armbian server. I tried armbian v6.12 (Ubuntu KDE 24.04, Ubuntu Server 24.04 and Minimal IOT). None of them boot from SD card. The Ubuntu 20.4 image downloaded from BPI site boot well from SD card. I have restored the original Android image with Amlogic burnin tool on one M5 and Armbian don't boot from SD but the ubuntu 20.4 from BPI site works well. I don't known what to do ? Thank's in advance
-
Reputation Points
- 4 replies
- 2.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
I loose the HDMI signal and screen get black because startx (main launcher script to enter Xorg!) from xinit package has been forgotten to be installed. After doing the magic combination CTRL+ALT+F1/F2 and login in console mode, this will fix the issue and open the gates of cinnamon sudo apt install xinit Enjoy , SoSie
-
Reputation Points
- 1 reply
- 3.9k views
- 2 followers
-
-
bananaoi-m5, Armbian 25.8.1 bookworm installed I can login via ssh as first user, gene, and sudo -i just fine. Buuuttttttt, at reboot the local screen ask's for the pw for amandabackup, a user lock down tightly which has never had a pw assigned. as its intended to be pw--less for the amanda backup system. What miss-configure can cause this????? Also I ordered 2 more of the keyboard/mouse combo''s which are the same as I'm using with a similar install for klipper running a 3d printer, but the dongle doesn't init when plugged in ack dmesg output, refusing its on discovery assigned address. So no keyboard/mouse is locally possible. I'll unpack the 2nd identical…
-
Hi everyone, I'm trying to control an 5v PWM Fan using hardware PWM pins of Banana Pi M5. I'm not able to output any pwm signal on any pin. It looks like there is an pwm controller visible at `/proc/device-tree/soc/bus@ffd00000/pwm@19000`. File `/proc/device-tree/soc/bus@ffd00000/pwm@19000/status` has content `okay` and file `/proc/device-tree/soc/bus@ffd00000/pwm@19000/pinctrl-0` has content `&`. When i run script: echo 0 | tee /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/export echo 40000 | tee /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/period echo 20000 | tee /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/duty_cycle echo 1 | tee /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/enable echo 1 | tee /sys/cl…
-
Reputation Points
- 8 replies
- 3.4k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Hi everyone, I'm experiencing a severe boot delay on my Banana Pi M5 running Server Armbian Image (v25.2.2 - Banana Pi M5 - Armbian Linux 6.12.21-current-meson64) when no HDMI monitor is connected. The board itself is working fine, but without an HDMI connection, the system takes several long minutes to complete the boot process. Details The system boots normally and quickly when an HDMI monitor is attached. However, without a monitor, in headless mode , the boot process is significantly delayed several minutes (approx. 4 minutes). Blue led blinking normaly. I've Tried modified /boot/armbianEnv.txt by setting: display_autodetect=fals…
-
Reputation Points
- 10 replies
- 4.8k views
- 3 followers
-
-
I had my banana pi M5 installed with Armbian 24.11.1 Noble Gnome. I had trouble with the wifi dongle which is TP-Link (RTL8188 skew) product. The system detects no wifi adapter after booting or reboot, however, it can be detected after a hot-plug (remove then plug) action. How can I solve the problem? Thank you all.
-
I would like to use the mmc commands available in uboot on this board. I am able to boot properly in this mode and "help" properly lists all the commands available in this mode. On my board Armbian is running in EMMC. When I invoke "mmc" or the "mmcinfo" commands the system replies with the following error: Card did not respond to voltage select If I insert an Sdcard in the slot these two commands do respond properly which implies that uboot is seeing the Sdcard as default. Is there a way to redirect these commands to the EMMC? Regards
-
Good morning everyone. My problem is that I had armbian installed in emmc and using armbian config I changed it to usb but I did not update the boot to sd and when I restart it only shows what I put in the photo and it remains black. Is there any way to fix it. By pressing reset with the HDMI unplugged it tries to start but stays in initramfs. Thank you
-
PRETTY_NAME="Armbian 22.08.7 Bullseye" NAME="Debian GNU/Linux" VERSION_ID="11" VERSION="11 (bullseye)" VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye ID=debian HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/" SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/" Hello everyone and thanks for accepting me in the forum. I recently bought a banana pi M5, intalled armbian but i can't use i2c, I tried to enable i2cA and i2cB from armbian-config without success. I have also tested numerous dts files with no success. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you.
-
Reputation Points
- 10 replies
- 8.6k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Hello all, As subtitler guy, I experienced many troubles making aegisub work. , I finally made the subtitle editor, working with hardware under armbian jammy but having still annoyances. I want to share my thought and my discoveries on it. First I would like to thanks all who post on this already, including alternative ways such as schroot and of course the armbian team for the improvements of the boot .. schroot allow to run an linux in a linux. According to what I experienced, meson driver development is leaded by oibaf and in advance in ubuntu but here aegisub does exists only on debian. The idea was thus to boot on debian jammy and chroot i…
-
Hello everyone, I've recently started migrating a project for Banana Pi M5 from Debian 10 Buster to Armbian, because I've found that the latest versions of it now support the GPU, Mali G31, and come with Panfrost OpenGL driver, which is crucial for this project. Everything was perfect until I had to implement two features: operating with TV via CEC and showing boot logo. Quickly about the last one - as I've understood, we have to use Plymouth, but I didn't really get how to do it, I've tried to activate it but had no success (how exactly see under paragraph). However, it doesn't work on Server Images (even on those that were compiled with build tools and activat…
-
@Igor I tested the XFCE, CLI and Minimal Bullseye images from https://armbian.com/bananapi-m5 (2022-11-30). I tried to build myself one from master (current and edge - bullseye/desktop/xfce), same outcome: it shows the Splashscreen and then stops here: I don't have a USB-to-TTL adapter, so I can't provide more debug informations. The only images that still boot (reliably!) from the SD card are the ones archived here https://imola.armbian.com/archive/bananapim5/archive/ that still used the Kernel 5.19.16. The switch to 6.0.x occurred two weeks ago: https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/ce61bd7827d42c63bc1f763d…
-
Reputation Points
- 19 replies
- 12.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Logs: https://paste.armbian.com/kasujazuwo Hi, I've been looking to run the desktop version of Armbian on the M5 however it will not start (blank screen, no signal). I can see the Debian Icon at startup, and the Armbian Icon at shutdown. startx does not bring it up, however sudo startx will but I'm not sure if this is the best way. I have tested: Armbian_22.11.3_Bananapim5_bullseye_current_6.1.4_gnome_desktop.img Armbian_22.11.3_Bananapim5_bullseye_current_6.1.4_cinnamon_desktop.img and both are the same. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks.
-
Hello, I have tried Bullseye CLI image 30nov from https://www.armbian.com/bananapi-m5/ flashed with etcher to ensure integrity on sdcard sandisk A1 64G It appears that it loops in /scripts/local-block giving up to mount armbian root even with correct UUID why does it loop like this?
-
Reputation Points
- 6 replies
- 5.2k views
- 3 followers
-
-
Hello All, I spent mainly a week figuring out why it was a nightmare with cinnamon on debian I thought it was a matter of cinnamon version and/or mesa version of panfrost but it was a modeline detection problem from xorg. After trying my luck I finally discover where the bad duck resided on debian versions : - bullseye who was lagging , managing to use mali accel but overflowded with log errors - bookworm was loosing HDMI signal just after login in.. I will only talk about bookworm In fact, cinnamon internal xrandr, tool who detect the screen modelines, fails to access and to grab screen EDID modelines like xrandr did. it resul…
-
Banani Pi M5, Armbian_23.02.2_Bananapim5_bullseye_current_6.1.11_xfce_desktop into SD card, USB drive connected and auto mounted in fstab. Boot loop looking for system into USB. I have to disconnect USB then it boots up from SD. Any help?
-
Support file: https://paste.armbian.com/enivosames I have connected an LCD touch display via HDMI and USB to the M5. The display shows messages during booting or shutdown but then "freezes" leaving the last few lines of the boot process displayed but does not show the console or anything else. What am I missing?
-
Hi! Recently I've tried Armbian 22.11 Jammy for my banana Pi M5. Initial setup without any error message. When I do the speaker-test but no sound output. Can I know how to add the sound card driver into the OS? Thanks
-
Reputation Points
- 10 replies
- 9.7k views
- 1 follower
-
-
I had another distro and power button nicely shut down the system and it doesn't with armbian. I have read some things about it but I'm not even sure if they apply to this board or they are updated, about acpi events, logind and AR100, and I've read the official schematics of the board. It seems the button is connected to ADC pins. I installed acpid but acpi_listen reports nothing. But evtest does! root@bananapim5:~# evtest /dev/input/by-path/platform-adc_keys-event Input driver version is 1.0.1 Input device ID: bus 0x19 vendor 0x1 product 0x1 version 0x100 Input device name: "adc_keys" Supported events: Event type 0 (EV_SYN…
-
Reputation Points
- 0 replies
- 2.4k views
- 1 follower
-
-
When I try to do "apt upgrade" on a brand new SD Card that has been just flashed I get a "kernel panic". This is the whole error: https://paste.debian.net/1283664 And this is the armbianmonitor -U log: https://paste.debian.net/1283662/ The board runs fine with debian with 4.9.x kernel supplied by manufacturer. Armbian is the second image I try because I need a newer kernel. I'll try to find one that is less new. Thank you for your support! EDIT: I tried again without wifi and it worked flawlessly. I can't make it crash with a wired connection. I used the same wifi plug with Debian and I never had an error but may…
-
Reputation Points
- 0 replies
- 2.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Could someone with a BPI-M5 confirm whether it has crypto extensions? Could you run `cryptsetup benchmark` or `openssl speed aes-128-cbc`? Thanks!
-
u-boot from Armbian_23.02.0-trunk_Bananapim5_sid_edge_6.2.0-rc3_minimal.img hangs if I try to boot with my USB hard disk connected. I replaced it with u-boot from Armbian_22.08.7_Bananapim5_bullseye_edge_5.19.16.img and that one works fine. U-Boot 2022.10-armbian (Feb 12 2023 - 17:20:43 +0000)bpi-m5 Model: Banana Pi BPI-M5 SoC: Amlogic Meson SM1 (S905X3) Revision 2b:c (10:2) DRAM: 3.8 GiB Core: 384 devices, 27 uclasses, devicetree: separate MMC: sd@ffe05000: 0, mmc@ffe07000: 1 Loading Environment from nowhere... OK In: serial Out: serial Err: serial Net: eth0: ethernet@ff3f0000 Autoboot in 2 seconds starting USB... Bus usb@ff500000: Register…
-
Reputation Points
- 16 replies
- 12.4k views
- 3 followers
-
-
Hi, Banana Pi M5 here. Really thanks so much by your generous work with Armbian software. I did a try with: Armbian 23.02.2 Jammy XFCE Armbian 23.02.2 Bullseye XFCE Armbian 22.11.3 Jammy XFCE Armbian 22.08.7 Jammy XFCE But only 22.08.7 loads desktop. The others versions does not load desktop after Armbian logo load screen, but I can login through SSH. I'm not proficiency with computers, I used Linux from many years ago but as an entry user, it's only a hobby, so excuse me if this problem is solved, but I don't find a solution in forum neither the Internet and I'm with these problems for…
-
Hi! Using the vanilla ARMBIAN image 23.02.2_Bananapim5_bullseye_current_6.1.11_minimal Enabling the provided uartA and uartC dtbos fails. Here is the output from the boot process, as captured via the Serial Debug interface: 238 bytes read in 3 ms (77.1 KiB/s) Applying kernel provided DT overlay meson-uartA.dtbo failed on fdt_overlay_apply(): FDT_ERR_NOTFOUND 238 bytes read in 3 ms (77.1 KiB/s) Applying kernel provided DT overlay meson-uartC.dtbo failed on fdt_overlay_apply(): FDT_ERR_BADMAGIC It seems that this image provides invalid dtbos, likely not properly built alongside the same kernel image. I'm happy to help de…
-
Reputation Points
- 3 replies
- 5.9k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Hello, I know this is a forbidden question, I will adress specially to @chewitt and @Igor. Why I dare to do this? Because today, it is the fist time I managed to run Libreelec (LE) nighly https://test.libreelec.tv/11.0/Amlogic/bananapi-m5/ and have the somehow the same suffering with boot and so on and as I did not give up, I shot the last bug preventing LE to boot. I don't want to register in every forum for each pack , christian forgive me I will put the explanation here. The last image suffer from a missing link..in /flash as it is all momified in squashfs , this need extra skills. wget https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/libreelec/L…
-
Reputation Points
- 4 replies
- 4.6k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Armbian_22.08.7_Bananapim5_bullseye_edge_5.19.16_gnome_desktop Hello, I'm trying to rotate the desktop from landscape to portrait. Trying to do this in the display settings in the desktop does not work correctly as it only uses the top half of the screen. What does work is to rotate using xrandr: xrandr -o right I'm trying to do this automatically on start up so I have written a script to call from lightdm.conf The script: #!/bin/sh xrandr -o right exit 0 The parts in lightdm.conf [Seat:*] that I've edited: display-setup-script=/home/badger/screen.sh session-setup-script=/home/badger/screen.sh This w…
-
Hi there! I've installed Armbian 23.02.0 Jammy on my Banana Pi M5. And I'm using 3.5" display with HDMI interface. The screen has a native 480x320 resolution, but accept a range from 640x480 to 1920x1080. On resolutions over 800x480 is not readable, so I'm able to change resolution with the following line in /boot/armbianEnv.txt extraargs=video=HDMI-A-1:800x480M@87 fbcon=rotate:0 with lower resolutions 800x480 to 640x480 (60 to 87hz) the screen has an offset down of one character line so ther's a blank line up and I don't see login and shell input command down. Looking at 16:9 resolutions I see all the text with the minimum of 896…
-
Reputation Points
- 3 replies
- 5.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Hello, The mission: to change display resolution for "None-1" ('unknown display') - when no physical screen/display/monitor is attached. Machine: Banana Pi M5 (Bpi M5). I use it as a headless machine (without any monitor connected) and access it via a remote control/share screen application (such as: Teamviewer). The problem: the display is very small as the resolution is set to 720 X 576. I couldn't find any way or method to define/change the resolution in such a case. How can this be done? I'll appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks in advance! This is the information of the machine and Armbian version installed…
-
Hello, I got a BPIM5 with rtl8822cs board and a BPIM2+ with internal wifi chip for home automation. I started my project (vpn gateway) with the ubuntu server distribution on BPIM5. I had a lot of instability of the wifi driver (lost of station in AP mode) and and the board crashed every two, three days. I switches to ARMBIAN with the last Armbian 22.11.3 Bullseye with Linux 6.1.4-meson64. This software seems to work fine on M2+ and wifi is fine and stable. So I tried to move my M5 to the same level. The M5 boot on sd card, I move it on MMC memory and the board boot . Unfortunatly the wifi board (rtl8822cs sdio) is not recog…
-
Reputation Points
- 7 replies
- 6.8k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Hi, I am new to Armbian and I am working with the Jammy Minimal CLI image (9 Jan 2023) in a Banana Pi M5. I need to configure the w1 to the pin GPIOA_14 and I have tried adding the following to /boot/armbianEnv.txt: overlays=w1-gpio param_w1_pin=GPIOA_14 But it does not work. How should I configure it? Thanks
-
Reputation Points
- 0 replies
- 2.2k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Hello I've tried to install the newest Armbian image "Armbian_22.08.7_Bananapim5_jammy_edge_5.19.16_cinnamon_desktop.img.xz" Copied with Balena Etcher to SDcard. Attached a serial tty cable and started with card in SD-Slot. Unfortunately it stops while booting. Please can anybody help me ? Here is the serial log:
-
Recently i've download and installed Armbian_22.08.7_Bananapim5_bullseye_edge_5.19.16_minimal.img into Banana Pi M5 board. Initial setup run smoothly. After run the reboot command the system stop halfway. Can I know how to solve this problem? I have copy the error message below. Thanks. U-Boot 2022.07-armbian (Oct 18 2022 - 07:30:35 +0000)bpi-m5 Model: Banana Pi BPI-M5 SoC: Amlogic Meson SM1 (S905X3) Revision 2b:c (10:2) DRAM: 3.8 GiB Core: 385 devices, 27 uclasses, devicetree: separate MMC: sd@ffe05000: 0, mmc@ffe07000: 1 Loading Environment from nowhere... OK In: serial Out: serial Err: serial Net: eth0: ethernet@ff3f000…
-
I tried the 5.10 images. Both Jammy and Buster. Both just give a black display, but the display does wake up(background LED is on) All LED's stay on. With sid 5.19 it boots normally. Blue LED flashes. Display works.