Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Issue with CPU frequency after update to 24.5.1 with Kernel 6.6.31-current-odroid-xu4

Featured Replies

Hi, I'm running OMV on Odroid HC2.

 

I updated to OMV 7.7.1. Armbian to 24.5.1 with Linux kernel 6.6.31-current-odroid-xu4.

 

After reboot the server started to act very slow. I tried to reapply the DBT for HC1/2 via armbian-config but this did not help.

armbian-config says I'm on ondemand governor between 200-200 MHz.

 

What could be the issue?

 

Actually my system says I should run 

 

dpkg --configure -a

 

but this command hang here and the system reboots after few seconds...

 

steakhutzeee@dk:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for steakhutzeee:
Setting up containerd.io (1.6.33-1) ...

 

EDIT: From armbian-config -> CPU (deprecated) I applied the max I could find. Now armbian-config states I'm running 1800-1800 MHz. I was able to successfully run the dpkg command and update my system.

 

steakhutzeee@dk:~$ grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/*
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/affected_cpus:0 1 2 3
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq:1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq:1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq:200000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_transition_latency:155000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/related_cpus:0 1 2 3
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies:200000 300000 400000 500000 600000 700000 800000 900000 1000000 1100000 1200000 1300000 1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors:userspace powersave conservative ondemand performance schedutil
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq:1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver:cpufreq-dt
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor:ondemand
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq:1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq:1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed:<unsupported>
grep: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats: Is a directory

 

I did:

 

echo 1400000 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 200000 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

 

If this issue with frequencies has to be fixed with an update, how can I set a correct frequency manually now? I'm afraid this high freq could cause damage actually.

 

Thank you!

Edited by steakhutzeee

  • Author

Thank you! Was looking there just now. I already did:

 

echo 1400000 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 200000 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

 

that resulted in

 

steakhutzeee@dk:/sys/devices/system/cpu$ grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/*
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/affected_cpus:0 1 2 3
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq:1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq:1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq:200000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_transition_latency:155000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/related_cpus:0 1 2 3
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies:200000 300000 400000 500000 600000 700000 800000 900000 1000000 1100000 1200000 1300000 1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors:userspace powersave conservative ondemand performance schedutil
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq:1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver:cpufreq-dt
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor:ondemand
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq:1400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq:200000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed:<unsupported>
grep: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats: Is a directory

 

But I see a different value in:

 

steakhutzeee@dk:/sys/devices/system/cpu$ cat /etc/default/cpufrequtils
ENABLE=true
GOVERNOR=ondemand
MAX_SPEED=2000000
MIN_SPEED=2000000

 

So which values should I set here? And how can I manage the edits I made before?

 

Maybe this is true only when using DBT instead of using CPU under armbian-config?

 

Thank you!

Edited by steakhutzeee

  • Author

Some questions here:

Isn't cpurequtils deprecated?


So any other edit to other file is just ignored on reboot?

 

Could you suggest the appropriate values to apply for min/max?

 

Just as a test I set it to false again, so not using cpurequtils and armbian-config says I'm between 2000 and 2000 Mhz. So, I suppose I'm using the values I applied before.

 

 

Edited by steakhutzeee

As of the 24.05 release Armbian no longer uses the package cpufrequtils.  It now uses that configuration file directly, and replaces the basic functionality that the package cpufrequtils formerly provided.

So the Armbian hardware optimization service reads this file and applies the values to the system, and armbian-config is responsible to modify it.

I noticed that my HC2 was running slowly but didn't figure out why until I read this thread. Network performance was dismal too when measured with iperf3.

 

On 6/9/2024 at 8:53 AM, SteeMan said:

armbian-config is responsible to modify it

 

Where do I find these settings in the config tool? I only see the "Set CPU speed and governor (deprecated)".

 

In /etc/default/cpufrequtils I have

 

ENABLE=false
GOVERNOR="ondemand"
MAX_SPEED="0"
MIN_SPEED="0"

  • Author

@hmof which OS are you using? I'm using OMV and had to set these settings the OMV way, but at the end the source of truth is always etc/default/cpufrequtils

 

If you are using OMV you have to use env variables to set the values and then deploy. In the end OMV use ENABLE=true, even if it is deprecated for armbian.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Edited by steakhutzeee

12 hours ago, SteeMan said:

Have you tried to use armbian-config to change the settings?

 

Where, in the deprecated cpufrequtils section, or is there a new place?

 

I did use that section and it worked.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.