July 28, 20242 yr Hello! First time poster, long time admirer. I've been unable to get ANY of the 6.10.x images to boot off SD card (Sandisk Extreme) for the Orange Pi 5 Plus. Specific images which are not working for me: Armbian_24.8.0-trunk.472_Orangepi5-plus_noble_edge_6.10.2_gnome-kisak_desktop.img.xz Armbian_24.5.5_Orangepi5-plus_noble_edge_6.10.1_gnome-kisak_desktop.img.xz Armbian_24.8.0-trunk.472_Orangepi5-plus_trixie_edge_6.10.2_minimal.img.xz Has anybody else had better luck?
July 29, 20242 yr I noticed that the 6.10 don't have te blue/green heartbeat, it stays red. Also, hdmi for unusual resolutions is not working yet. Maybe you have the feeling that it's not turning on because of that. Can you try in a different monitor?
July 29, 20242 yr Author That could well be it. I've tried 1080p and 1440p but I'll try on some other hardware I have. The 1080p I was using is weird...
July 29, 20242 yr I stopped wasting my time and just moved on: https://github.com/Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip I see people claiming its "hardware" or whatever yet this group oddly got it to work. yes I am running a weird display resolution too. Edited July 29, 20242 yr by Keno
July 30, 20242 yr 13 hours ago, Keno said: yes I am running a weird display resolution too. But you are running kernel 6.1.y WHICH IS NOT KERNEL 6.10.y, that is mainline derived and still unfinished. It is clearly marked on the download side. Kernel 6.1.y works with Armbian perfectly and on weird HW. Mainline (6.10.y) has been in development for several years by a company and several full time engineers. Not by single person. Joushua uses identical kernel - bugs are identical too on low level. 13 hours ago, Keno said: I stopped wasting my time Use images with kernel 6.1.y recommended for end users. They work perfectly. 13 hours ago, Keno said: I see people claiming its "hardware" It's hardware interface. Use the one that works, 6.1.y, distro jumping makes no diff. But you should know that by now and you are of course free to choose. Just remember to make a donation to support developers - we don't compete for free riders, we work together to make it best for all!
July 30, 20242 yr On the Orange Pi 5 (Armbian_24.8.0-trunk.468_Orangepi5_noble_edge_6.10.2_gnome-kisak_desktop.img.xz) Is booting, but I get no output to a monitor via HDMI, using standard resolutions. However, I can access via ssh. I would guess the relevant error from DMESG is rockchip-drm display-subsystem: [drm:rockchip_drm_platform_probe [rockchipdrm]] *ERROR* No available vop found for display-subsystem. I also note my NVME drive goes missing. Finally, it is not my experience that any version of Armbian, or Joshua Riek's distro, works well on the Orange Pi 5. All versions are problematic with the VPU, in my case, all versions eventually crash displaying 1080p HEVC video. This is why I, and I suspect many others, are interested in the 6.10 kernel, with MESA/panthor.
July 31, 20242 yr @NickB 6.1 is a 'vendor' kernel and 6.10 is a mainline kernel. Generally mainline is far behind a vendor kernel in support of any specific CPU.
July 31, 20242 yr hdmi worked on edge until something like rc4 or so an then broke. We'll see if 6.11-rc fixes this again. End users are still recommended to use vendor 6.1 branch.
August 1, 20242 yr Author Solution Finally got back to this! I was wrong — it’s definitely booting. But the change to the LED color and the fact that it’s only outputting on one of the HDMI ports (the middle one) instead of both fooled me into thinking it’s not. That said, I am unable to correctly do an initial setup (just tried again with today’s rolling image) due to the screen just filling with: fdee0000.hdmi_receiver: hdmirx_wait_lock_and_get_timing: HDMI pull out, return The usual setup output is visible initially, interleaved with the above text, but is eventually fully pushed off the screen. And typing doesn’t appear to do anything — I haven’t been able to generate a functional normal booting instance this way, although it’s probably possible. Anyway — I was wrong, it’s definitely booting, and my issues are a different set of issues entirely. Thanks for the suggestions and information! -Dana
August 1, 20242 yr Author Oh, and also, I HAVE been able to set the node’s GUI up using SSH based on the Info in this thread (I’m sure it’s elsewhere as well):
September 1, 20242 yr I'll give it a try, here you go ... https://paste.armbian.com/waqaquzihu (the debug log) Booting no hdmi display support, SSH is working fine. And something just for fun ~$ vulkaninfo Cannot create Vulkan instance. This problem is often caused by a faulty installation of the Vulkan driver or attempting to use a GPU that does not support Vulkan. ERROR at ./vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:649:vkCreateInstance failed with ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER Edited September 1, 20242 yr by Avatar Ng typo
September 6, 20242 yr Sorry, here's the previous image being tested: Armbian_24.8.1_Orangepi5-plus_jammy_current_6.10.6_kde-neon-kisak_desktop.img Current Image being tested: Armbian_24.8.1_Orangepi5-plus_noble_current_6.10.6_gnome-kisak_desktop.img https://paste.armbian.com/qofapugeja
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.