June 4, 20242 yr RTL8852BE is the official recommended Wifi module for Orange Pie 5 PLUS, but it is not available in Armbian 24.5.1 Linux Vendor Kernel 6.1 without a driver module. Hope the official driver will be added to the 6.1 kernel. Thanks.
June 5, 20242 yr Author Unfortunately, "sudo modprobe rtw89" didn't work. It returned this with error: "modprobe: FATAL: Module rtw89 not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.43-vendor-rk35xx" I think it may be lost 8852BE kernel module? In directory /lib/modules/6.1.43-vendor-rk35xx/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtw89, I find "rtw89_8852c.ko", "rtw89_8852ae.ko", "rtw89_8852ce.ko", just without "rtw89_8852be.ko".
June 5, 20242 yr Odd. It is enabled in config:https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/aa2d4696cac76148d01977f63cc831e492c0f7a2/config/kernel/linux-rk35xx-legacy.config#L2945 Have you installed armbian-firmware-full? Maybe just the firmware is missing.
June 5, 20242 yr Author I have armbian-firmware-full installed. By the way, the config you mentioned in github is linux-rk35xx-legacy(kernel 5.10), not the linux-rk35xx-vendor(kernel 6.1) used in Armbian 24.5.1 Stable. This topic has also mentioned about the lost rtl8852be driver: No WiFi on latest image - Orange Pi 5 Plus - Armbian Community Forums Spoiler Thanks!
July 12, 20242 yr Hello everyone! I have an orange pi 5 plus with the official WiFi module and I have installed thr armbian-firmware-full, but I still can't find the wifi module driver: user@orangepi5-plus:~$ ls /usr/lib/modules/6.1.43-vendor-rk35xx/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtw89 rtw89_8852ae.ko rtw89_8852ce.ko rtw89_core.ko rtw89_8852a.ko rtw89_8852c.ko rtw89_pci.ko user@orangepi5-plus:~$ ls /usr/lib/firmware/rtw89/ rtw8851b_fw.bin rtw8852b_fw-1.bin rtw8852c_fw.bin rtw8852a_fw.bin rtw8852b_fw.bin rtw8922a_fw.bin user@orangepi5-plus:~$ I thought it was supposed to be added to the vendor kernel: https://github.com/armbian/linux-rockchip/pull/192 My kernel version: user@orangepi5-plus:~$ uname -r 6.1.43-vendor-rk35xx Am I missing something here?
July 12, 20242 yr Author Solution Quote I thought it was supposed to be added to the vendor kernel: https://github.com/armbian/linux-rockchip/pull/192 I think It's also wired after that PR the 8852BE driver is still not added into the OS build. Now I have compile the the DKMS driver by myself, you can simply install it through APT. Download here sudo apt install -f ./rtw8852be-dkms_1.0.0_all.deb Rember to turn off system auto-suspend: sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target Good luck!
July 12, 20242 yr @Gypsophila . I tried with your file, but while the driver is loaded just fine and the WiFi card seems to be running, when scanning for WiFi networks, no networks are found. I know it should be working as I've tried with the edge kernel and it was working properly. Any ideas? Edited July 12, 20242 yr by GicaContra
July 12, 20242 yr Author @GicaContra I also noticed this problem: first boot can turn on the wifi but can not connect to AP. After install the DKMS driver ,try to reboot twice then it should be worked fine. Edge kernel is 6.10, the 8852be driver is included in the mainline kernel about 6.2, so it should work, but edge kernel will lost many hardware supports on the board, it's not recommended.
July 12, 20242 yr Success! The repository is at https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw8852be and has detailed instructions to compile and install. I followed the instructions and have WiFi working again on kernel 6.1.43-vendor-rk35xx The only difficulty was to find the correct headers package: linux-headers-vendor-rk35xx My OPi5Plus has the additional WiFi PCIe card, which was visible with the previous vendor kernel version, 5.10.160-legacy-rk35xx or package linux-headers-legacy-rk35xx. Though managing both cards used to be buggy, I only see one card now. Not perfect but enough for my current needs. Edited July 12, 20242 yr by bolet75
July 14, 20242 yr It won't be requiring any external packages soon -> https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/6947/files
July 15, 20242 yr On 7/14/2024 at 4:56 PM, Efe Çetin said: It won't be requiring any external packages soon -> https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/6947/files Great news! Any hope to have both on-board and pci-e cards recognised as they used to be in 5.10.160-legacy?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.