Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Helios 4

  1. I've been trying to get the sys-oled script working in Trixie, but I'm pretty out of my depth here. I started with https://github.com/helios-4/sys-oled.git and https://github.com/rpardini/sys-oled-hc4.git /usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/sys-oled --display sh1106 --i2c-port 0 --rotate 2 Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/sys-oled", line 140, in <module> device = get_device() File "/usr/local/bin/sys-oled", line 56, in get_device device = cmdline.create_device(args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/luma/core/cmdline.py", line 241, in create_device device = Device(serial_interface=interface(), **pa…

    • Reputation Points

    • 6 replies
    • 1.3k views
  2. Started by laibsch,

    I received a Helios4 and was finally able to get it to boot. As per instructions, I booted from microSD and flashed the latest Armbian image to sda1 via the nand-sata-install command. This reboots fine now, but only with the microSD-card present and the SW1 dipswitch set to "SD card boot mode". Is anybody here using "SPI NOR Flash" or "SATA1" boot mode to get rid of the microSD card? I am bit handicapped here since my serial port on the microUSB only comes up maybe 1 in 10 times. I wonder if it's worn out or if I am simply doing something wrong. Related Links: 1 2 3 4

    • Reputation Points

    • 7 replies
    • 3.3k views
  3. After more than six successful years with Helios4, I have to say goodbye to this platform and the highly valued, helpful, and knowledgeable Armbian forum. With 32-bit, it’s no longer feasible to continue using it in the future. I have installed the 4 8TB hard drives from the NAS into an Odroid H4+ (Intel, 64-bit), installed OMV8, and on top of that, Nextcloud-AIO Hub 26 Winter and AdGuardHome. Thank you very much for your support over the past few years. btw. The Helios4 hardware (excluding the hard drives) is still available.

  4. I'm wanting to install the latest CLI or minimal image for my Helios4 and am on the Helios4 Armbian page. Unless I'm missing something, there appears to only be two variations, but both are labelled as "Desktop" images.. In addition, in the below screenshot you can see a footnote indicating that to install OMV I will need a Bookworm minimal image - which is what I want to do. Am I missing something? Thanks

  5. Started by Carlo,

    Helios4 can boot directly from the sata disk nr 1, without the need to switch from the SD or the eMMC. I personally tried setting SW1 to 11100 and using u-boot-sata for Clearfog, which shares the same uSOM and the system booted regularly, obviously the system didn't recognize many devices being u-boot for another board. I tried to compile a version of u-boot for sata trying to integrate the changes present in https://solidrun.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/developer/pages/287212134/A38X+U-Boot in the U-boot build instruction and sources for Helios4 present in the Kobol Wiki but my skills are not sufficient for such a job. In the binaries available for…

  6. Hello, After upgrading helios4 I encountered this problem after rebooting: U-Boot SPL 2019.04-armbian (Jul 03 2024 - 12:20:37 +0000) High speed PHY - Version: 2.0 Detected Device ID 6828 board SerDes lanes topology details: | Lane # | Speed | Type | -------------------------------- | 0 | 6 | SATA0 | | 1 | 5 | USB3 HOST0 | | 2 | 6 | SATA1 | | 3 | 6 | SATA3 | | 4 | 6 | SATA2 | | 5 | 5 | USB3 HOST1 | -------------------------------- High speed PHY - Ended Successfully mv_ddr: mv_ddr-armada-18.09.2 DDR3 Training Sequence - Switching XBAR Window to FastPath Window DDR Training Sequenc…

  7. Started by FredK,

    ... straightforward and smooth.

  8. Just wondering if anyone would be interested in running a helios4 NAS still today? Or maybe you might need a spare board as a potential replacement? I have a decommissioned one at home that has been replaced with an x86 machine. The helios4 still works just fine and it would be quite a waste to just throw it away. It is the full kit: Case, board, cables and power adapter. Happy to send it (I am based in Germany) to whoever wants it as long as you cover the cost. Please send me a direct message if interested, thanks!

  9. Hello, I am experiencing a critical issue with my Helios4 board from Kovol after a recent power outage. When I power on the device, the fans start spinning, but none of the LEDs illuminate at all. This includes the power LED and any activity LEDs. Anybody can help me?. I thought it might be the power supply, but I can't find where I could buy it. Does anyone know where to find it? Thank you very much.

    • Reputation Points

    • 4 replies
    • 2.5k views
  10. Started by fredall,

    Hi. I have tried to Upgrade my Helios 4 nas but was unsuccessful. I tried several times with bookworm and OMV7 but every time I do an update of bookworm it breaks everything and the nas does not boot anymore. Is there a way to download again a bullseye image for helios 4 ? I couldn't find any by myself and wod appreciate a link. Thank you

  11. Started by bigheart,

    Hi my good old helios4 with OMV had been running for few years without big issue. but it suddenly lost all SATA HDD. OMV shown the 2 HDD are missing. i reboot it and during the boot i saw couple of error, failure... so decided to reinstall armbian by a new SD card. but tried 2 new cards with new images.. i got same error ... as attached log file. it seems during booting the kernel, not sure it is u-boot or kernel report it cannot find the root file system. i am not sure it is the SD card issue or it it the Helios4 board issue or any other issue. could anyone help? bootlog.txt

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 2.5k views
  12. Started by Rickyx,

    After installing armbian bookworm the fans are always at maximum. Here is how I solved. Trying to figure out what is not working I try to run the related service systemctl start fancontrol.service but it does not start. So I check the latest errors: systemctl status fancontrol.service I obtain Failed ...fancontrol.service: Failed to locate executable /usr/sbin/fancontrol so, fancontrol is simply not there and apt can't find it for installation. I took the old sd card and copied the fancontrol to /usr/sbin/ Than make it executable with: chmod +x /usr/sbin/fancontrol than systemctl start fancontrol.service systemc…

  13. Started by Declan,

    Hello, I would like to sell my helios4 2gb ecc. It's served me well, I've outgrown it and is no longer required Posting on here incase anyone is interested Fyi, I'm UK based for postage

  14. After upgrade to version 5.15.72, fancontrol service fails to start, due to missing /dev/fan-j17 There is some information in dmesg: pwm-fan j17-pwm: error -EBUSY: Could not get PWM

  15. Hello all! After upgrading to OMV 7 and Debian 12 my OLED display remains dark. I am using Kobol Helios 4 NAS. Can anyone tell me where the problem is? When i try to execute git clone https://github.com/kobol-io/sys-oled.git cd sys-oled sudo ./install.sh I get the following error message via SSH. Installing luma.oled library error: externally-managed-environment × This environment is externally managed ╰─> To install Python packages system-wide, try apt install python3-xyz, where xyz is the package you are trying to install. If you wish to install a non-Debian-packaged Python package, create a virtual environment using python3 -m ve…

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 3.3k views
  16. ... however Armbian_23.8.1_Helios4_bookworm_current_6.1.50.img.xz worked well and was then upgraded through apt to 24.2.1 / 6.6.16. I was then able to install OMV 7, Plex media server and Transmission on top. warning - the ethernet ports change, breaking scripts where they're hardcoded, e.g the wol service. changing the port in two places in the file and running systemctl daemon-reload ; systemctl restart helios4-wol seems to be running ok. This details the patch: diff --git a/lib/systemd/system/helios4-wol.service.orig b/lib/systemd/system/helios4-wol.service index 965eb74..451b857 100644 --- a/lib/systemd/system/helios4-wol.servic…

  17. Started by Vivek Krishnan,

    Seeing the SOC go upto 80-90C, is there any fan mod or way to reduce temps? for now, added a external fan, removed the case, temps are around 50 Running OMV6 on bullseye

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 2.8k views
  18. Hi All, I'm a happy user of a Helios4, and have been for several years now. However, at some point it will be challenging to continue to support it, and I'd rather be proactive about maintaining access to my data than scrambling around. Do people here have recommendations on current hardware that can replace the Helios4? It would need to meet the baseline hardware requirements of the existing hardware. Bonus points if one can re-use the laser-cut case Thanks!

  19. Hi all, just a quick note here that I am running 23.05 Bookworm successfully on Helios4 with ZFS. I did a clean install with a self-built image. Why the self-build? For two reasons: I wanted to have working fancontrol and that required the recent patch of @Heisath - https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/5392 I ran into an issue with not being able to install kernel headers (see below) so I needed to build an image with kernel headers built-in Build steps I wanted the release version so I did this in a clean build environment (WSL2 Ubuntu): git clone --depth=1 --branch=v23.05.2 https://github.com/armbian/build And …

  20. I'm using Armbian 23.02.2 Bullseye with Linux 5.15.93-mvebu and OMV6. I want to upgrade to Armbian 23.5.1 Bookworm with Linux 6.1.30. Up to now no upgrade is offered. If the answer to the thread title is "yes" I need help how to do the upgrade. If the answer is "no" I kindly ask for information about the reason not to be able to upgrade. By the way: Helios4 is a maintained platform, maintainer is @Heisath

  21. Started by FredK,

    I'm using Armbian 21.08.8 (Bullseye). I want to upgrade to Armbian 22.02.1 but "apt-get update" doesn't offer anything. Reason seems to be that <mirror>/apt/dists is from Feb 1st 2022. OTOH <mirror>/dl contains the new release but "starting from scratch" (download image, write SDcard) implies that I have to rebuild my OMV6 on top of Armbian. Question: When can I expect that <mirror>/apt/dists will be refreshed? Or is there any other way to upgrade my installation?

  22. I've been having issues with my Helios4 becoming unresponsive when it's been up for a while. I decided to do some more thorough investigating and found that it was having problems writing to the sdcard. That led to the following entries in syslog: Dec 20 21:36:43 helios-backup kernel: [318645.034243] mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt. Dec 20 21:36:43 helios-backup kernel: [318645.034254] mmc0: sdhci: ============ SDHCI REGISTER DUMP =========== Dec 20 21:36:43 helios-backup kernel: [318645.034258] mmc0: sdhci: Sys addr: 0x00000008 | Version: 0x00000202 Dec 20 21:36:43 helios-backup kernel: [318645.034263] mmc0: sdhci: Blk size: 0x000072…

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 4.2k views
  23. Hello everyone! After my Helios4 had been laying in a cardboard box for a long time after moving houses, I decided it was time to once again set it up as an NAS. I was previously running Open Media Vault (OMV) with 4 disks in xfs and using MergerFS for unionizing three of them at a single mount point and then using Snapraid for the fourth disk. OMV worked pretty well for me but I go somewhat irritated from time to times because how it decides to thing in it's own way. But now I when I re-installed it (after getting a new PSU) I went with Armbian instead to keep it closer to "standard" linux. I think I will still go with Merver…

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 2.7k views
  24. Started by jairunet,

    Hello all, This seems to be an issue related to the python script to start the program, any help will be appreciated for those with python programming understanding: $ sudo systemctl status sys-oled.service * sys-oled.service - System Starting on OLED Display Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/sys-oled.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2021-09-17 02:22:42 JST; 10s ago Process: 4425 ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/sys-oled --display ${display_model} (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE) Main PID: 4425 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE) Sep 17 02:22:42 nas python3[4425]: main() Sep 17 02:22:…

    • Reputation Points

    • 3 replies
    • 3.6k views
  25. After upgrading to the 5.15 kernel, I noticed that the fan control is only able to control one of the fans, while the other spins at full speed. Experimentally I found out that the PWM control for the second fan is ineffective: helios4# uname -r 5.15.86-mvebu helios4# echo 0 > /dev/fan-j10/pwm1 # works, fan is off helios4# echo 255 > /dev/fan-j10/pwm1 # works, fan at full speed helios4# echo 0 > /dev/fan-j17/pwm1 # does nothing, full speed helios4# echo 255 > /dev/fan-j17/pwm1 # does nothing, full speed Some digging around I found that 92-mvebu-gpio-remove-hardcoded-timer-assignment.patch has been ported to 5.15, but it doesn't seem to w…

    • Reputation Points

    • 6 replies
    • 3.9k views
  26. Started by FredK,

    Straightforward! See signature. Thanks to the team.

    • Reputation Points

    • 0 replies
    • 2.2k views
  27. Started by marcz,

    For marvell-mvebu build DRBD is not supported, the module is missing in either current and edge config a grep of CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DRBD in build/config/kernel from the git build repo shows that most boards have DRBD compiled as module except some few exceptions. One of these few exception is mvebu (ClearFog Base/Pro, ESPRESSObin, Helios 4). I don't understand why. DRBD is a very nice and secure block device which provides network block replication (raid over network), and it is widely used. DRDB compile and work flawlessly on helios4 with the mvebu kernel. But we are obliged to compile the kernel or only the module, which is somewhat painful. As I have …

  28. Started by FredK,

    System successfully upgraded. No problems detected (so far). Thanks to the team.

  29. Hey, the last time my Helios4's PSU blew I suspect was due to a power overload, with the PSU not being able to deal with all 4 HDDs doing active work (this also killed one of the HDDs in my array). Based on the system log, it looked like the system was doing a regular integrity checks on all 4 HDDs at once (!). I would like to either disable the integrity check altogether, or more ideally, spread it out. I have two RAID-1 arrays, and there is no reason for all four drives to be checked simultaneously. For example, I can check one of the arrays (two HDDs) and then once that is done, the second array (the other two HDDs) after. Does anyone know where…

  30. Hi, after some time on storage i tried to reativate my batch 2 helios4 only to be greeted with a seemingly broken device. Tried the following: 1. Flashed a new good SD Card with Armbian (golden sundisk one) 2. unplugged all harddisks in my helios 4 3. inserted SD-Card and plugged in in. Result: Orange blinking on the Network Port Green blinking next to the Power slow USB-TTY does not show up Tt does not boot I hear a slight chirping noise synchronous with the green LED. It comes directly from the board not the fans, harddisks or PSU. Sounds like a fan briefly rubbing against something but it's comming 100%…

  31. Started by phross,

    This is with armbian 22.02 bullseye. phross@helios4:~$ uname -a Linux helios4 5.15.26-mvebu #trunk.0002 SMP Thu Mar 3 10:15:53 UTC 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux phross@helios4:~$ cpufreq-info cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009 Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please. analyzing CPU 0: no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU maximum transition latency: 0.00 ms. analyzing CPU 1: no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU maximum transition latency: 0.00 ms. I remember reading discussions about issues with cpufreq patches causing issues on armada-38x socs. Is the cpufreq driver for armada-38…

    • Reputation Points

    • 1 reply
    • 3.3k views
  32. Started by Nova,

    Hi, I have a Armbian 22.02.1 with Linux 5.10.60-mvebu with buster debian packages. Its possible to update bullseye a not lost my storage raids?

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 4.2k views
  33. Hello, I know that Kobol is out of Business.. But I am thinking...what if my helios4 motherboard die...? To mitigate that, I want to acquire new motherboard. Does any one knows how I could get one? Thanks in Advance

    • Reputation Points

    • 1 reply
    • 2.7k views
  34. Started by bigbrovar,

    Hi all, I got my helios4 sometimes in 2019 and it was one of the best purchases I ever made. It has served and was solid as a rock. Unfortunately all that ended couple of days ago when I noticed the Helios was not powering up properly, think it was the power supply not connected well (because I just recently changed the location) I removed and fitted the PSU a couple of times, I could see the led light come on but still it would not boot properly. By the time I found out what the real problem is things had gone worse, the reason for the incomplete boot was the SD card has been removed. Unfortunately, it seems my constant removing and refitting the PSU to …

  35. Started by vspeed,

    The board was up and running when suddenly I could not access the share anymore. I went near it and I was hearing some HDD clicking. I rebooted it from the console and when it came on, no storage was available. I could see some /dev/sd* but one HDD was missing from it and the lvm was not available anymore. Also all the HDDs where clicking and I was hearing a loud buzzing sound from the board. I rebooted it again, measured the PSU and even load tested it and it is fine, the same for the moled connectors, it was measuring 12V and 5V, but the truth was, the HDDs this time were not even detected. Took it all apart and booted it without any HDD connected and sur…

  36. Started by Mangix,

    4 2.5" HDDs. [ 1242.509097] BTRFS info (device sda): scrub: started on devid 1 [ 1242.560838] BTRFS info (device sda): scrub: started on devid 4 [ 1242.615578] BTRFS info (device sda): scrub: started on devid 3 [ 1242.703587] BTRFS info (device sda): scrub: started on devid 2 [ 3731.573257] ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0xffffffff SErr 0x0 action 0x0 [ 3731.573272] ata2.00: irq_stat 0x40000001 [ 3731.573279] ata2.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED [ 3731.573283] ata2.00: cmd 60/80:00:00:2f:2b/00:00:03:00:00/40 tag 0 ncq dma 65536 in res 41/40:d8:30:e2:f6/00:00:05:00:00/40 Emask 0x9 (media error) [ 3731.573300] ata2.00: status: { D…

    • Reputation Points

    • 0 replies
    • 2.2k views
  37. Started by jimbolaya,

    I was trying get sys-oled running on a new installation (upgrade, really) of bullseye. If go with the original Kobol github version, https://github.com/kobol-io/sys-oled, it fails to build RPI.GPIO and something else. I also found an alternate at https://github.com/rpardini/sys-oled-hc4, that builds, but when I run it, it complains about a thermal call in python: # sys-oled --display sh1106 Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/bin/sys-oled", line 142, in <module> main() File "/usr/local/bin/sys-oled", line 132, in main display_info(device) File "/usr/local/bin/sys-oled", line 105, in display_info draw.text(…

  38. Hello! I have connected the WD 10TB RED HDD via external USB 3.0 enclosure to one of the USB 3.0 Ports on the HELIOS4. Unfortunately the speeds don't exceed 45 MB/s. when running RSYNC jobs. On the PC I can completely use the speed of the GBit Port.. When connected to the USB Ports of HELIOS4 the speeds are low. Can somebody help? The external enclosure is from UGREEN. HDD is NTFS formatted. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

    • Reputation Points

    • 0 replies
    • 2.5k views
  39. Wanted to share my unfortunate experience today of trying to do a fresh install of a newer armbian version in order to accommodate OMV 5 on my Helios4. Was doing everything as usual and after the first boot from the new SD card tried to run armbian-config while still attached to the serial console. That proved to be a mistake as it started some auto install script type of thing and wiped one of my hard drives. Also the GUI wasn't showing properly. The exact same thing happened when I tried to reproduce the same steps. Should have been wiser and connected via SSH after inital boot to go from there. No such thing happened when running armbian-config via SSH for the first ti…

    • Reputation Points

    • 0 replies
    • 2.2k views
  40. It's been a while I have on my TODO list : write a guide on how to activate and use the Marvell Cryptographic Engines And Security Accelerator (CESA) on Helios4. Previously I already shared some numbers related to the CESA engine while using @tkaiser sbc-bench tool. I also shared some findings on the openssl support for the kernel modules (cryptodev and af_alg) that interact with the cesa engine. My conclusion was : 1. performance wise : effectively cryptodev performs slightly better than af_alg. 2. openssl / libssl support : very messy and broken, it all depends which version of openssl you use. Since many Debian Stretch apps depe…

  41. Started by m4110c,

    Hi there, I have a little problem with my i2c-screen on the Helios4. It was setup according to the Kobol-Wiki and was working right from the start. However after running for some time (in this example it took around 6 hours) the screen is black and empty. Once I SSH back into the helios and restart the systemd sys-oled.service, it works again for some time... "journalctl -u sys-oled.service" gives the following: Sep 13 10:18:38 helios4 systemd[1]: Started System Starting on OLED Display. Sep 13 16:46:01 helios4 python3[23009]: Traceback (most recent call last): Sep 13 16:46:01 helios4 python3[23009]: File "/usr/local/bi…

  42. Started by Mangix,

    Anyone know why it's not supported out of the box? The wiki provides a patch but does not mention why it's not upstream or in Armbian. The bus-width being 4 is also quite suspect. All the other Armada 38x devices have it at 8. Armada 37x ones have it at 4.

  43. Started by craesz,

    I had to reinstall on my Linux desktop due to a hard drive failure. I copied the mounting language in my /etc/fstab file and now it times out on mounting. This is my mounting entry which worked fine before 192.168.0.123:/mnt/md0 /mnt/RAID nfs rw,_netdev,hard,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,user 0 0 That used to work. I made no changes to my Helios4. When I try to mount it manually, this is what I get: mount -av mount.nfs: timeout set for Fri Jul 23 07:26:16 2021 mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'hard,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,vers=4.2,addr=192.168.0.123,clientaddr=192.168.0.2' mount.nfs: mount(2): Connection refused mount.nfs: tryi…

  44. Hello Everyone, My Helios4 stop of working. It was probably SD CARD because I format an other one with the last Armbian and after it boot again. Now I config ip address and can connect to it via ssh. Install webmin and saw that it didn't mount /dev/md0 I did it but filesystem in raid1 is btrfs. When I mounted it it say : unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member' Someone can help me? Best regards.

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 3.3k views
  45. Hello the Helios4 community, This is quite the story and I may have messed up at multiple steps, especially since I did not backup my RAID data (please don't go too hard on me for this, it's difficult task for me since I don't have enough space on any of my computer to do so), but I hope that at least you can help me to salvage some data. Short story: I flashed my sd cart to upgrade to the last armbian available (I was on armbian 9) After some hurdle I finally could had a stable boot and installed OpenMediaVault When looking for my RAID 10 data I found that they were gone, replaced by what looks like a linux system, here's its current content…

  46. Fresh-builded armbian image, Helios4. Try to enter armbian-config → system → cpu root@helios4:~# cat /etc/os-release NAME="Ubuntu" VERSION="21.04 (Hirsute Hippo)" ID=ubuntu ID_LIKE=debian PRETTY_NAME="Armbian 21.08.0-trunk Hirsute" VERSION_ID="21.04" HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/" SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/" PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy" VERSION_CODENAME=hirsute UBUNTU_CODENAME=hirsute

  47. I'm running a Helios4 NAS with OMV 5.6.6-1 and ZFS 2.0.3. After running for approximately a week it becomes unresponsive - OMV login shows a blue screen but doesn't get to login page, SSH timeout and serial login just keeps going back to the login prompt without asking for the password. Repowering the unit (physically disconnecting the power because there is no way to shut it down gracefully) brings it back to life and it runs again for a week or so before the same thing happens again. I'm not quite sure where to start troubleshooting this. Any ideas ?

    • Reputation Points

    • 5 replies
    • 4.2k views
  48. Hello, HELIOS4 system was running (and doing nothing), when it suddenly crashed. After restart, nothing automatically loaded (system stuck in emergency mode), once USB cable plugged i managed to log only once into the system, and discovered that no disks where mounted anymore (not even available / detect by the board) (it's not so easy as it seems there are some freezes, maybe due to the hardware errors related to he missing hdd links) 13:00 root@helios4 ~# ll /dev/sd* zsh: no matches found: /dev/sd* Is this a failing PSU (like in other threads) ? To be noted : the PSU has a blinking green light ... i can't rememb…

  49. Hello, I stripped two or three mounting screws for the board. Does anyone know what is the type of these screws and what size are they? Thanks

    • Reputation Points

    • 0 replies
    • 2.7k views
  50. @gprovost I described last year a process to upgrade from omv4 to omv5. (which is doable). I also did a clean install of omv5 after i was having random reboot issues using the newer kernel5. I ended up using the clean built and reconfiguring all the services and dockers. I do not recommend using the newer kernel if you are using dockers. This is where I would have random system reboots. OMV4 was very stable but since omv4 was eol. I decided to upgrade or do a clean install. I did both with the same random reboots using the newer kernel 5. Once i switched back to the older kernel with my config, I was not having the random reboot issues. I understand this would be ha…

    • Reputation Points

    • 0 replies
    • 2.9k views
  51. As the title states I already have software raid setup on my NAS. I'm currently running OMV 4 and I'd like to do a fresh install of the latest Debian image and OMV 5. I do not want to lose my data and would like to simply re-mount my drives. Is this possible? Also if I mess up and I'm unable to mount the raid/volumes, could I create an image of my current micro sd card and simply reflash it back onto the card and have everything as it was?

  52. Started by strike_noir,

    Hi, First using my Helios4 after I left her in my storage room. I have installed and running open media vault. I sometimes wanted to shutdown the NAS. I shutdown using sudo poweroff. Is the a soft method to turn it on again? I currently turn it on using the power switch. Regards,

  53. Started by SvenHz,

    Hi all, I am trying to get ZFS up and running on my new Helios4. My apologies if I am overlooking something trivial. My assumption is that I need a different image? Steps taken: # apt-get install zfsutils-linux At the final stage of installation (configuration), the error output is: The ZFS modules are not loaded. Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them. zfs-share.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE zfs-share.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'. Image details: Helios4 provided Armbian image Debian 10 - Buster, 02/08/2019 https://cdn.kobol.io/files/A…

  54. Hi, Using 4 HDDs in my Helios 4 with Openmediavault 5.5. After a update & restart all the HDD's are gone (not shown at all in lsblk anymore). After poking around in the the systemmessages i found this in dmsg, but don't know what to do with it. ``` [ 1.746837] ahci-mvebu f10a8000.sata: supply ahci not found, using dummy regulator [ 1.746909] ahci-mvebu f10a8000.sata: supply phy not found, using dummy regulator [ 1.747062] platform f10a8000.sata:sata-port@0: supply target not found, using dummy regulator [ 1.747207] platform f10a8000.sata:sata-port@1: supply target not found, using dummy regulator [ 1.747285] ahci-mvebu…

  55. Hello everyone, I am thinking about moving the Helios4 into a Inter-Tech SC-4100 case. The backplane in that case has only one Molex powerconnector. So is it possible to combine both power connectors on the board (J14 + J19) into one ? https://wiki.kobol.io/helios4/img/hardware/board_legend.jpg Thanks Br, Joe

  56. Following the install instructions from: https://www.wireguard.com/install/#debian-module-tools Wireguard server is working correctly as I have other devices working. I recieve the following output: root@helios4:/etc/wireguard# wg-quick up PiVPNHelios4 [#] ip link add PiVPNHelios4 type wireguard [#] wg setconf PiVPNHelios4 /dev/fd/63 [#] ip -4 address add 10.6.0.5/24 dev PiVPNHelios4 [#] ip link set mtu 1420 up dev PiVPNHelios4 [#] resolvconf -a tun.PiVPNHelios4 -m 0 -x Unknown interface 'tun': No such device [#] ip link delete dev PiVPNHelios4 Have I setup something wrong with wireguard? or is it not fully supported? …

  57. Started by pierre,

    Hello, I tried to use again my Helios4, but when we put the power on, only the LED8 light up. This Helios4 was working great a few month ago (before we receive the Helios64 :-) So we removed all sata cables (and fan, and power cables for hard drives) to made new tests. But still the same...:-( And the processor is hot. So, if someone have a idea to fix it. Thank you. Regard.

  58. Started by qtmax,

    I have a Helios4 (2nd batch) with 4 HDDs, and before I started using it, I decided to test its performance on the planned workload. However, I got quite not satisfied with the numbers. First, the SSH speed is about 30 MB/s, while the CPU core where sshd runs is at 100% (so I suppose it's the bottleneck). I create a sparse file and copy it over SSH: helios4# dd if=/dev/null bs=1M seek=2000 of=/tmp/blank With scp I get up to 31.2 MB/s: pc# scp root@helios4:/tmp/blank /tmp With rsync I get pretty much the same numbers: pc# rm /tmp/blank pc# rsync -e ssh --progress root@helios4:/tmp/blank /tmp/ blank 2,097,152,000 100% 31.06MB/s 0:01:04 (xfr…

  59. Is helios4 usb gadget Ethernet enabled? If it is available, how can it be activated? If the usb gadget Ethernet is not default build , which helios4 kernel build options should I modify?

    • Reputation Points

    • 1 reply
    • 3.1k views
  60. Started by FredK,

    Let me ask a question in a armbian-forum where I found up til now no solution. After updating nextcloud to 20.0.5 (now I use 20.0.7) I get the following warning in OMV5 Settings->Overview: Asking thas question in the OMV-forum I received the following answer from the user "Morlan": A missing MariaDB docker version 10.2ff could be a show-stopper if nextcloud v21 will be available for Helios4.

  61. Started by kratz00,

    Hello For quite some time I experienced system freezes. I already measured the voltage on the board 12V and 5V are okay on both connectors. Attached you will find the armbianmonitor -U output. I tried to capture kernel logs using information from some other thread. sudo dmesg -n 7 sudo dmesg -w But I could not capture anything useful. Today the system froze while checking the raid (filesystem was not mounted). [ 168.224361] md: data-check of RAID array md0 Is there anything else I can do to shed some light? Thanks and regards -kratz00 armbianmonitor.log

  62. armbianmonitor -u: http://ix.io/2Lae Did an apt update/upgrade & reboot today, and the system came back up but none of the drives did. Imaged a new SD card with stock armbian, and still no luck. Measured the voltage of the PS (at the plug, not the molex connector) at 12.3v Anything else I can check/try?

  63. Started by Renée,

    DUring a fresh install of Debian buster recently, I went through the armbian-config setup, which finished with "install a whole lot of package updates, and update the boodloader." Since I've rebooted from that, the board no longer boots. It's been a while, so I have unfortunately forgotten the details of what actually happened. I didn't expect that set of updates to change anything in the firmware, only the OS and u-boot on the MMC-card. The board powers on, attempts to boot from the MMC and then bails. This is the error log: (slightly trimmed) I've tried several different MMC cards. I've tried booting from SPI, SATA and UART…

  64. Hello, So I am trying to setup my Helios 4. I am running into some issues with the installation, trying to group them here, so it will be easier. 1. I am trying to setup NextCloud following your tutorial on kobol wiki but I cannot install PHP 7.3 Here is the screenshot of the output after running the command: 2. Also, when I enter Armbian-Config, it seems unstable and crash. The menu doesn't display. 3. Other issue, I cannot access my NAS through SSH. It returns "operation timed out" How to solve these issues? Thank you for your help.

  65. Started by GeckoX,

    Hi, I am opening a new topic to make things clearer. This is a follow-up post from here: After managing to install it, I moved my Helios 4 and switched it on again. It started to work but then it shut down. I cannot switch it on anymore. I don't know if it comes from the Power supply or the motherboard. What are the solutions? Thank you for your help.

  66. Started by Mangix,

    I seem to have issues on my Helios 4 where it constantly reboots. I have no idea what happens just before. I assume some kind of kernel panic. Kernel 4.19.63 - works 4.19.84 - I believe works 4.19.104 and above - broken Newer ones are broken as well. This is most likely an issue with some local patch. Any way to view the history?

  67. Started by youe,

    I've been using a Helios4 for nearly 2 years now and it's been fantastic. A couple days ago, it stopped working though. The serial console revealed a boot loop at "U-Boot SPL" and only showing the disks, but never attempting to boot the OS. I did some forum searching and discovered the PSU could be the issue. Using a multimeter, I tested the PSU pins and I get the following (see diagram): PIN 1: +2.66V (fluctuates between 2.64-2.66) PIN 2: +2.66V (fluctuates between 2.64-2.66) PIN 3: GND PIN 4: GND What are the voltages that Helios4 expects for these pins? Should both 1 & 2 be 12V or should one be 12V and the other 5V? I already …

  68. Started by Mangix,

    Is it me or it the mv_xor driver being loaded late? ``` [ 0.007976] xor: measuring software checksum speed [ 0.164062] xor: using function: arm4regs (2534.000 MB/sec) [ 0.316068] raid6: neonx8 xor() 1096 MB/s [ 0.452063] raid6: neonx4 xor() 1378 MB/s [ 0.588069] raid6: neonx2 xor() 1610 MB/s [ 0.724066] raid6: neonx1 xor() 1346 MB/s [ 0.860075] raid6: int32x8 xor() 328 MB/s [ 0.996072] raid6: int32x4 xor() 369 MB/s [ 1.132082] raid6: int32x2 xor() 332 MB/s [ 1.268063] raid6: int32x1 xor() 285 MB/s [ 1.268067] raid6: .... xor() 1610 MB/s, rmw enabled [ 1.665163] mv_xor f10608…

  69. Started by dekomori,

    Where can I buy Helios4? Are you still planning to sell it? Helios64 is too expensive honestly and since OpenWRT supports this device.

  70. Started by gprovost,

    This main thread has been locked. Thanks to the Armbian team, we now have our own Kobol club (kinda sub forum) dedicated to our products (Helios64 & Helios4). So now you are encourage to create individual threads for new issue, discuss feature, share setup, etc... This will help to improve overall readability. Note : Before asking a question please insure the information is not already available on Helios4 Wiki or addressed in a previous post in this forum. Latest Build : Check : https://dl.armbian.com/helios4/ Archived Build : Check : https://archive.armbian.com/helios4/archiv…

  71. Started by gprovost,

    News related to Helios4 : Software update Wiki / Documentation update Etc...

  72. I'm having a hard time clarifying if OMV 5 is stable on Helios 4 and if there are any successful builds out there. Since there doesn't seem to be an upgrade path from OMV4 -> OMV5 and so requiring a full rebuild, I want to understand as much as possible before actually trying this new version out. Any successes out there?

  73. I bought an helios4 (and run helios4 4.19.63-mvebu) to replace a bananapi server under armbian, the bananapi was running a DRBD node, so I need this service. I first tried to install it, and have seen that DRBD was not configured in the kernel linux-image-next-mvebu 5.91. and the module was missing I checked in the git repository that linux-mvebu64-next.config has now this configuration option, and thought that I will get a new kernel by switching to nightly build. As this option is offered by armbian-config I toggled it. After some time my Helios4 failed to reboot and was bricked. I mounted my SD on an other system to try to analyze the situation, nothing app…

  74. Started by Colink,

    Hi all, I've pre-ordered my helios4 and was so excited to finally receive my new NAS after a few months of waiting. I love this project and want to see this project to grow and maybe inspire others to create similar projects as this one. That said, I was really disappointed when I finally started my board and realized that the UART to micro usb was broken when I plugged it in my computer. No USB device is at all recognized(on linux nor on my mac). At first, to eliminate any potential problems, I tried at least 6 different micro usb to usb cables thinking that a cable could be broken... it happens some time. With all 6 cables tried, never did I get …

    • Reputation Points

    • 3 replies
    • 3.4k views
  75. Started by Bramani,

    1. Question: How do I check that ECC is really active? 2. Possible Kernel issue: The Debian Buster image's Kernel seems to lack CPU frequency info settings: "cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq: No such file or directory". How can that be fixed? 3. Possible assembly issue: I think the air flow through the case should be reversed. Testing scenario: two units about 0,5 m apart in the same location. One unit assembled as shown in the Wiki, the second one assembled with reverse fan direction. First unit equipped with WD40EFRX-68N32N0 (3 platters), second one with the older WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 (4 platters). Because of tha…

  76. Started by Fefo,

    Hi, I'm new proud user of Helios4 Batch3. I started to "play" with different options on this board - and after a 24 hours of use - board doesnt start anymore. Status led blinks but and disk leds blink for short time. It is not possible to connect via terminal console or network. I'think that problem (at least logs point that way) with missing or unavail mount point or (one) disk problem. But nevertheless I think that system itself should still be accessible. Am I wrong? Some disks can fail but not all mount points reside on them. If I disconnect all disks (physically) then connection(s) is/are possible again. I'm st…

  77. After creating a raid 6 array and creating a filesystem on it I decided to switch to a raid 5 instead. So i re-created the array and after that was done mkfs.ext4 fails every time. The error I get is: Having to wait for the arrays to be created TWICE now has taken my entire weekend! The armbianmonitor didn't work with the following output: root@helios4:/home/user# armbianmonitor -u System diagnosis information will now be uploaded to no results to fetchPlease post the URL in the forum where you've been asked for. Can anyone help me determine why this error is happening? It'd be much appreciated!

    • Reputation Points

    • 1 reply
    • 2.9k views
  78. Started by Mirco,

    Hi everyone, i've received my new Helios4, i installed OpenMediaVault and i've a 6TB WDRed inside Helios4. Trying to copy files on the NAS i found a very slow speed transfer rate (about 4.5MB/s) i tried to test the LAN over the Elios4 with iperf an this are the results... any idea to solve the problem ? Cables are new cat 5e. Last login: Wed Jan 9 22:58:09 2019 from 192.168.1.13 root@helios4:~# iperf -s ------------------------------------------------------------ Server listening on TCP port 5001 TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default) ------------------------------------------------------------ [ 4] local 192.168.1.4 port 5001 connecte…

    • Reputation Points

    • 1 reply
    • 3.5k views
  79. Started by _slayer_,

    Hi everyone. I'm going through the setup process of my Helios4, but am encountering issues with the termina/serial login, which appears to be a character set issue of some type, which I can't figure out. Here is what I have so far: sudo picocom -b 115200 /dev/tty.usbserial-DJ00JLDH picocom v3.1 port is : /dev/tty.usbserial-DJ00JLDH flowcontrol : none baudrate is : 115200 parity is : none databits are : 8 stopbits are : 1 escape is : C-a local echo is : no noinit is : no noreset is : no hangup is : no nolock is : no send_cmd is : sz -vv receive_cmd is : rz -vv -E imap is …

  80. Started by Caribou,

    Hello, is it possible to connect the helios4 directly on his tv to view his videos or photos. For example with a usb3 adapter type A to hdmi. if I understood correctly the helios4 does not have a graphic circuit from where my interrogation.

  81. Started by gprovost,

    Hi Igor, Hi Armbian team, I wanted to give a short teaser of an upcoming board I have been developing. The board will be launched through a crowd-funding campaign in couple of weeks. Codename : Helios-4 I'm sure the heatsink will give you some hint The board has been build around the Marvell Armada 388 SoC / SoM from SolidRun. So part of the design is inspired from the Clearfog dev board. Actually the SolidRun helped me on the PCB layout to make this little guy reality. Here the main specs : - dual core A9 @1.6 GHz (max 2Ghz) - 1GB DDR3 (2GB optional) - 4x SATA III - 2x USB 3.0 - 1x Gigabit …

  82. To all folks, We are taking order for the 2nd batch of Helios4. If you are interested visit our shop. We offer the two following kits for order : Helios4 2GB ECC Full Kit Helios4 2GB ECC Basic Kit Thanks for the support ;-) The Kobol Team

    • Reputation Points

    • 1 reply
    • 3.3k views
  83. Started by LarryM,

    Got notice that my Helios 4 is on it's way. Yay! But I have a question that I don't see here. I followed the topic of creating, I believe it was a raid 10 with four disks, and I think that's where I want to end up, but I only have two drives right now. Can I go ahead and start with just the two, and easily and the other two at a later date? Or would I be better off waiting until I can get the other two drives?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.